Izzy Stradlin GNR AFD tone - Which color MK III?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure it was a Mesa Boogie Mark III through a 4x12 halfback with "Celestions on top and EVs on the bottom." I don't know what the Celestions were that were on top, and I don't know which stripe III it was.

He probably had some Mark Head. Have you seen the back cover of Appetite for Destcrution? But I think that his setup was as follows:

Fender Bassman 60's Blackface head with Mesaboogie 4x12 cabinet with EV speakers in the bottom and Celestions on top.

I don't know about the gigs.

Use Your Illusion: Carvin XV-112EV Studio Tube Amp

guitarsawicki said:
He probably had some Mark Head. Have you seen the back cover of Appetite for Destcrution? But I think that his setup was as follows:

Fender Bassman 60's Blackface head with Mesaboogie 4x12 cabinet with EV speakers in the bottom and Celestions on top.

I don't know about the gigs.

Use Your Illusion: Carvin XV-112EV Studio Tube Amp

I know he started using the Bassman later, and still does to this day, with the same cab configuration as he always has. Boy that UYI albulm, he was practically nonexistent in the mix. I still think it was a Mark III on AFD. I don't know my Mark III history well, and I wondered if anyone else herecan date it basically on when AFD was recorded.

A good friend of mine once told me that Izzy definately used a MkIII on AFD. I can't remember now how he knew that (where he learned it), but he said it's for sure. I know that doesn't help you much, but just thought I'd throw it your way.

I met Izzy a few times when I was living in LA. We both rode Harleys and used to meet at Bartel's H.D. back when it was in Culver City. Never did ask him about what amp he used on AFD. Sorry!

AFD rocks, and I love my blue stripe simul MkIII!

Cheers, Johnny

I don't think he has his own site - that's a fan site. I've probably read the same interviews, and I don't think it was clear.

I believe he was using the Bassmans on the Ju Ju Hounds records. There'sabsolutely no way that Mr. Brownstone was recorded through a Bassman.

Could be anything up to the Red stripe. (Black/No stripe-Purple or red stripes) if they came out in order...its an 87 album.. so I'd guess it was either of those three..?)

Latest posts

Back