Matching impedance head/cabs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorenzo_8

Reaction score
Hi, I am searching for a page I once saw, I think from mesaboogie.com. It showed every possible combination of amp/cabs in order to match impedance. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Anyway I want to run my mark III head through two half-back cabs, a 2x12 and a 4x12. :) Can I do it without modifing wirings?

Has anybody, that has a 4x12 HB, ever closed the top? If yes, how?

Thanks

... and once again the 'Boogie Files' are the treasure island:
http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/excab/excab1.html

8)

Hi, I am searching for a page I once saw, I think from mesaboogie.com. It showed every possible combination of amp/cabs in order to match impedance. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Rule of thumb; Essentially you can go out of the head into an equal or higher impedance.

IE: 8ohm out into an 8 or 16ohm cab, 4ohm out into a 4 or 8ohm cab, etc

Important: You cannot go out of the head into a lower impedance as costly damage can occur to the amp.

Hope it helps
Trace

From Boogie files; When running a higher resistance (for example: running an 8ohm output into 16 ohm cabinet)a slightly different feel and response will be eminent. A slight mismatch can provide a darker smoother tone with less output and attack. This response is a result of the amplifier running a bit cooler.

Given the example above, you are increasing the primary impedance, which in short will allow the power tube(s) to a bit easier. This is an over simplified answer to an otherwise complex subject.

Hope it helps
Trace

voodooamps said:

Rule of thumb; Essentially you can go out of the head into an equal or higher impedance.

IE: 8ohm out into an 8 or 16ohm cab, 4ohm out into a 4 or 8ohm cab, etc

Important: You cannot go out of the head into a lower impedance as costly damage can occur to the amp.

Hope it helps
Trace

Trace: so then it should be OK to run a 16 ohm cab with a 4 ohm out?

Frank

ps: loving the Workhorse mod you did to my Strat!

Trace: so then it should be OK to run a 16 ohm cab with a 4 ohm out?

Over all it depends on the amp, quality of the output transformer (or lack there), etc. Generally speaking I would not recommend that kind of a mismatch, better to go out of the 8ohm out into the 16ohm cabinet (for what it's worth).

ps: loving the Workhorse mod you did to my Strat!

Excellent to hear! There are a numerous tonal options available to you and they are all applicable depending on the situation you are in. Let me know what your favorite combinations are! :)

Thanks and I hope it helps
Trace

Back