Blues tone with Studio 22 amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yagon

Reaction score
Is it possible to get a nice bluesy tone (power tube distortion) with a studio 22 amp?

Yes. It's probably the best feature of the Studio/Caliber series.

Crank the volume all the way up, and leave the master at 1 for a Santana type breakup. Pick soflty for clean, hard for breakup. You'll have to play with the tone controls.

According to Rene Martinez (Santana's tech), you need to crank the master to get the power tubes to distort. It shouldn't be that hard with the .22. It'll be loud but when is that a bad thing?

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that. Exactly the opposite. Leave the volume low, master cranked. You could raise it up a bit if it's on the clean channel.

everything said above and ... and if you feel the pre-amp gain is still too much even if you have set it down low, replace the 12AX7s tubes with the following : 5751 in V1 and a 12YA (I think) in the V2 position. You do lose some of the hi-gain grind with the trade-off you do have little more control of the preamp gain knob.

Latest posts

Back