Mark III Channel switching confusion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodbath666

Reaction score
I received a mark III today and all I can seem to get out of it is a clean sound. The amp has the r2 volume mod done by boogie already, and came with 2 non-boogie footswitches. The two button footswitch can control the EQ being in and out and I guess the other button was for reverb which was taken out of the amp for the mod. I have a one button switch that came with it as well, but I can't seem to get into high gain mode.

Is there a way to get to channel 3 without any footswitches? I've been pulling and pushing knobs and plugging in footswitches for an hour now and I'm pretty confused.

BTW- I read the boogie mark III manual and have tried to plug the switches in, with there configuration and still no luck.

One of the knobs pulls for r2 and one for the lead. They will say pull rhythm (i think), pull lead. There is another input in the back by the eq/rev footswitch for the r2/r1 footswitch.

I pulled those knobs, and the r2 has some slight gain on it, but the lead drive pull has very little gain on it. I know this amp is supposed to be alot more gainy.

Your volume control (far left) is gonna be the main source of gain, it needs to be up past 6 to get r2 and lead sounding mean. The pull shift knobs and pull deep knobs all effect the lead channel only. Also the geq in a V will help it sound badder.

Ok, I put the volume on 6, the r2 I pulled and I'm getting some gain. The lead drive when I pull it though there is a still a clean tone. I'm not getting any massive gain at all. Here's what I'm doing specifically from left to right...... I set the volume on the far left to 6, pulled shift, pulled other shift, pushed in r2, pulled deep, and then I pulled the lead gain knob. Am I supposed to get the high gain like this? I hope it's just an error on my part and not some problem with the amp.

I have the lead gain at 8, I've had it at all settings and there is still no high gain. I just get another crunch tone instead of a high gain tone.

If you have lead drive pulled your foot switch wont work , keep that pushed in when using your footswitch, pull middle for rythm 2 if you have'nt got a footswitch but if you are using a footswitch keep it pushed in , you need to plug your rythm 2 cable into the chassis near the valves underneath . On my amp when in rythm 2 mode you cant switch from rythm 2 to lead , It will only switch to lead from rythm 1 , keep trying they are a fantastic amp once you work them out regards Murray. :D

I changed all the preamp tubes just now. Still the same problem. I bought it from a reputable seller on ebay, who said he just had the amp checked out by MT pro sound in OH. The amp is very clean and everything works flawlessly except for the lead drive. I've tried so many things now, do you think it may be an amp problem?

That's odd, I would take it to a tech to have a look at it (one that will give a free estimate if available). The III's really scream on the lead channel, all I could think is maybe something is screwy in the push-pull knob, but other than that I'd have no clue.

Yea, I think maybe I'll have to get it to a tech, maybe I should send it to boogie. I've had local techs fix a few things for me and it's never turned out right. This is very disappointing, I bought the amp from a seller on ebay. He has a great rating and has sold this type of gear before. He said that he recently had the amp serviced including a tube change at MT pro sound in OH. The amp is clean and works very well except for this high gain issue. The amp was packed very as too. ****, I just got this thing today after months of looking for a nice clean, R2 volume modded mark III.

You cant go from rythm2 to lead at least on my boogie you can't , you must go from rythm1 to lead :D Sounds like your stuck in rythm2 mode make sure that switch is pushed in and the rythm2 foot pedal is disconnected and try again :D

I've made sure that the R2 is pushed in. I also plugged the one button footswitch into the front footswitch input on the amp, and it goes from clean R1 to lead, but the lead still has very little gain.

It would only be V3 have you swapped only that one a couple of times , that valve gives you the drive channel.

murray said:
You cant go from rythm2 to lead at least on my boogie you can't , you must go from rythm1 to lead :D Sounds like your stuck in rythm2 mode make sure that switch is pushed in and the rythm2 foot pedal is disconnected and try again :D

On my Mark III you could go from r2 to lead, or r1 to lead, but you can't go to r1 if r2 is pulled. You also can't go to either r1 or r2 if lead is pulled.

Different to mine if i'm in R2 , you can stomp on R1- lead footswich as much as you like it makes no diference , i guess some mark111s are different to others :D

Latest posts

Back