anyone got DIY thiele cab pics? plans?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkinabus

Reaction score
Hi

I've been looking for a second hand thiele cab in Australia but to no avail.

I want an appropriate looking extension cab for my boogie mkllc+ and as I have a spare driver I though I'd build one.

Any help with specsor plans, particularly baffle/port design or internal cab pics would be appreciated.

Also what thickness ply is used?

I know external dimensions are
Height 40.01cm (with or without feet?)
Width 47.94cm
Depth 32.39cm

Cheers!

I just finished one and I think it turned out pretty good. I got the plans off of this forum, not sure of the link anymore.. sorry. And they are plans for an EV TL806 . Not sure if they are exactly to the Mesa specs but the cab sure sounds good. Couldn't be happier!!

t_guitar_cab_156.jpg

t_dscf2655_776.jpg

just googled and found a link for the plans I used. You have to kind of improvise a bit on these if you wan to use them ,but overall I went by the dimensions for the 3/4 ply pieces. You just need xtra cleats to do the interior bracing, but not hard to figure out if you look at the pics.

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Builders%20Plans/TL806%20Builders%20Plans.pdf

Be aware that Mesa changed the dimensions of their thiele cabs from thoses shown on the EV plans
Ian

sharkinabus said:
Hey gts,

Any chance of posting internal pics of the boogie thiele, of porting, bracing etc?

or even some reverse engineered plans?

Give me a couple weeks and I'll get some pictures. My Boogie thiele should be here around the 12th or 15th(?).

Vic

daveg62 said:
I just finished one and I think it turned out pretty good. I got the plans off of this forum, not sure of the link anymore.. sorry. And they are plans for an EV TL806 . Not sure if they are exactly to the Mesa specs but the cab sure sounds good. Couldn't be happier!!

t_guitar_cab_156.jpg

t_dscf2655_776.jpg

That thing looks dead on.

Awesome job.

Here's a bunch of EV plans. I believe it's the 806, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Builders%20Plans/

daveg62 said:

t_guitar_cab_156.jpg

t_dscf2655_776.jpg

Great job. What kind of ply is that?

CudBucket said:

It's 3/4" laminated ply. Ok, I have to confess I had a carpenter at work cut me the pieces and I pretty much just assembled it. I just had to figure out and cut the inside bracing pieces because the prints are very vague.
Think I'm going to build a matching one since this one came out so well.

daveg62 said:
CudBucket said:

It's 3/4" laminated ply. Ok, I have to confess I had a carpenter at work cut me the pieces and I pretty much just assembled it. I just had to figure out and cut the inside bracing pieces because the prints are very vague.
Think I'm going to build a matching one since this one came out so well.

Can you get him to cut me a new grill board for a head ?

I need to make a wicker cane to replace a hideous Oxblood and Mesa wants $ 150 plus for wicker covered plywood. :D

I recently built my own thiele cab with a reissue evm 12L classic and it is awesome I could not believe the sound I was getting it beats the quad hands down. I made it out of 16mm mdf board I have ordered some tolex to finish it off

What kind of joints are they? Are they just butt joints? That looks great. I'm kinda thinking I might want to build a couple and stick them on the bottom of my 2x12.

devilrob1979 said:
What kind of joints are they? Are they just butt joints? That looks great. I'm kinda thinking I might want to build a couple and stick them on the bottom of my 2x12.

I just drilled, glued, and used plenty of drywall screws to put it together. it's solid as a rock. The key is to cut all the pieces precise. I had a carpenter friend of mine cut them for me on a table saw. I just cut the hole out for the speaker with a jigsaw. I'm definitely doing another one soon. It sounds great!

Speaker's on the way now I just gotta get to work on the cab. Building the cabinet won't be a problem. I'm just worried about tolexing it.

devilrob1979 said:
Speaker's on the way now I just gotta get to work on the cab. Building the cabinet won't be a problem. I'm just worried about tolexing it.

I used Dap contact cement in a 1qt. can. from home depot. Worked really well. First I tried some type of adhesive in a spray can and that was a disaster. Tolexing was actually easier that I thought it would be once I had the right glue.

Has anyone tried these? Looks like it could be cool.

http://www.bassandbeyond.com/html/genz_benz_ls112t.html

Hi all, newbie here, I'm also looking at building the same cab as yourself daveg62[mighty fine looking cab, congrats].
I'm goin' thru' the plans here and I have a few queries.
Hope no one minds that I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I need all the input I can get, so here goes;
1] did you use the plywood for all internal bracing or different wood?
2] did you build around the bracing, or did you build the enclosure first and then add the bracing?
3] what speaker did you use?
I welcome any helpful input here from anyone and I'm sure I'll have a few more questions when the build commences.
Thanks

I used the same material for everything 16mm mdf
I put together the bracing and then built around it using srews and nails and no more gaps to help seal and secure it
the speaker that I used was a EVM 12L classic 200w from zzounds
rounded the edges with a router and used sound black bronco tolex
I took some pics if u want some I can send them to you

Back