NOFX Mark IV settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyhawk13

Reaction score
From the band's website:

"I think you screen name is rather fetching. The sound out of your amp starts with what guitar and pick up you use. It better be a humbucker, and I prefer a higher output one. This same setting sounds great with a Les Paul and weak with a Strat. Mark IV: Use Rhym2 Channel. Turn the gain up to 8-10. Bass and Mid around 5 or 6. Treble around 7 or 8. The Presence should be 7-8. Put the second volume anywhere from 1-3, and the big Master volume as loud as you can stand it. It doesn’t have to be loud to sound good, but if you’re playing live, you’d better listen to it at that level. This is a very clean, but very crunchy distortion sound. If that’s too clean, use the lead channel with the same Bass, Mid, and Treb settings, but the first gain should be around 7-8 and the second gain about the same. I set the sliding EQ on the front at a slight ‘V’ shape, with the Mid slider not adding or subtracting, and the others higher on each side. Oh yeah, on the back, I put the switch to all 4 tubes (Class A or Simul class, I can’t remember) And I switch to Pentode, not Triode, for a smoother sound. If your amp sounded bad, it might have needed new tubes. There should be all AX7’s in the pre-amp section and all four of the same power tubes (I use 6L6’s, or EL34’s or whatever you like) Start with these settings and then change them a little here and there and notice the difference. It’s a great sounding amp, so don’t use a distortion box, at least not until it sounds good on it’s own and then you can color it up with a good stomp box. And Thanks, I'm really glad you think we haven't started sucking, me too.
Eric Melvin"

http://www.nofxofficialwebsite.com/qa/qa_read.php3?page=4

He's gotta be using the IVB because he said that the pres are all 12ax7's

Yeah, i stumbled upon that one too.

But his Rhy 2 settings are nice for my Mark IV(A). Really rich crunch with the guitar volume rolled back.

11 years later, I discovered this thread, and tried those settings on my Mark IV and had a great time! Really nice classic crunch!

Back