New Boogie DC-3 owner... looking for input

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzerza

Reaction score
Just bought my first Boogie... an older / kind of beat up DC-3 combo. I haven't seen much info on the model and just wanted to see what everyone thinks about it.(comments, advice)? I am going to order a new handle from Mesa Boogie and I want to replace all the metal corners since they are a bit rusty, but mesa doesn't carry those... any ideas where I can get replacements. Also I need to buy both footswitches - pricey brand new, does anyone have any used to sell? 1. Lead/Rhythm Chanel 2. Reverb/EQ
Thanks foor the input

:D :D :D These are really nice amps.

It sounds like you have an older one if it takes two footswitches. I used to have one of these, now I have one of the newer ones that only takes 1 footswitch. I think that they only changed a couple of things between the "A" & "B" models.

These changes would be:
Different footswitching power supply
Different switch for the EQ (older amps have a rotary switch on the back,newer amps have a toggle switch) footswitching functions
2 button footswitch

Other than that, they sound pretty much the same to me.

The only bad thing about the DC-3 is that it tends to get a little hot when using it for extended periods of time. I recommend not placing it against anything when in use. This will allow the air to move around it more easily.

Other than that, you have a very fine amp, one of my favorite Mesa amps. I have owned lots of Rectifiers, Nomads, Roadster, etc.

I now own:
DC-3 B Combo
DC-5 B Combo
DC-10 A Combo
Heartbreaker Combo
Blue Angel Combo
Studio 22+ Combo

You just can't go wrong with a DC series if you play any type of music. The only exceptions that I can think of would be that the Rectifiers seem to be more of a new metal or Emo amp, which is tragic because they are much more versatile than most new players let them be.

If you do a search here on the Board, you will find many favorable entries for the DC-3.
Studio 22+ Combo

Yes it is one of the older ones that takes 2 footswitches, and I did notice it gets hot. I have read that some people have bought small fans to keep them cooler...is it really an issue if it gets hot?

For parts, including the exact handle that Mesa uses, even tolex if you're looking to re-skin try:

www.mojotone.com
www.ampwares.com
www.tubesandmore.com
www.vibroworld.com

Long time DC-3 user here (mine's the "newer" B version). These are very good, highly versatile little amps. I had to replace the strap on mine a couple of years ago. Mine has leather corners, and thankfully they are still intact. As far as the footswitches go, my recommendation would be to bite the bullet and get the right ones for the job, and order directly from Mesa. I have a friend who tried using an after market footswitch that frid a relay in his.

Anyway, I agree w/ Monstatone - these things run hot, and if you play with any regularity, you're going to be putting the output tubes through their paces in fairly short order. I ALWAYS carry a spare set. I don't generally use a fan, but I always make sure there's plenty of space behind the amp to let the unit breathe a little. I actually believe that it's because it runs so hot that it sounds as good as it does.

Also, if you haven't done so yet, try it through a quad box - you're going to be amazed.

You can get the user's manual on-line at http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Dual%20Cal%20DC-3.pdf

Enjoy the amp - treat it well, and it won't let you down.

I just bought a Hardwood Mark IV cab from Joey, here on the board for my DC-3.

It has the 120v fan installed. I think I will go ahead and wire it up so that it works with the DC-3, problem solved.

seajay said:
Why was this thread moved to the modern era forum? :?:

Sorry My Bad... I was moving other threads and I must have selected this thread by accident...I'll put it back. I wholeheartedly apologize!

Guitarzan said:
seajay said:
Why was this thread moved to the modern era forum? :?:

Sorry My Bad... I was moving other threads and I must have selected this thread by accident...I'll put it back. I wholeheartedly apologize!

It's cool baby! I was just confused. 8)

Thanks for the info,,,,keep it coming.

What is a Quad Box??? Sorry I'm a rookie when it comes to this stuff.

jzerza said:
What is a Quad Box???
It means a 4x12" speaker cabinet. It's not to be confused with the Quad pre-amp (which also comes in a box shape :wink: ).

I've just got a DC-3 too. I'm new to Mesa/Boogie amps and in fact new to valve amps. New to the board too! I've got the older type same as you jzera and I bought the lead/rhythm f/s. I think it was about 50 quid in the UK which seemed pricey to me but it does the job and saves me teetering about on one leg trying to flick the switch with my toe.

At the moment I'm just playing at home. As the amp is very (!) loud I was thinking about getting an attenuator. Anyone have any experience of using them? I've been looking at the Weber ones (Mass, Mass Lite, Mini Mass). They seem quite cheap and get generally good reviews although there are a couple of horror stories on Harmony Central. The other option is the THD hotplate but they seem a bit pricey. Any advice would be welcome, cheers!

ps Sorry to hijack your thread jzerza but I thought i might as well keep a DC-3 discussion on the same thread

I don't know if it's worth it to shell out the beans for an attenuator on these amps. My experience with this amp is that it sounds very good at low levels - that's one of the resons I got mine. I actually think that besides the studio .22 (or possibly the subway series) this is the one Boogie that really does work well with the overall master volume turned low. You can dial up the individual channel masters if you want more break-up, and still have the thing wailing at bedroom levels. YMMV of course, since it's all in the ears.

I have tried those attenuaters.... THD Hotplate was the best but lots of $$$$$$. I'm actually selling my Fender Blues Deville 4x10 mainly because of the volume.. I love the warm sounds I get from it, but it is so freakin loud. This dc-3 sounds great at low levels, and is more versitile. it seems odd that you have trouble getting it quiet. I decided not to drop the dough on an attenuater..If you want to play softer than this amp allows you, spend the $300 and buy something with even smaller wattage for home use, but mine seems to be able to get whisper soft and still sound great. It gets pretty loud too when I need it to.

Oh, crap...I think I'm getting addicted to Mesa Boogie.....my wife isn't going to like that!!!

Thanks for the advice guys. I dont really want to play any quieter than I am now, I just wanted to get the full benefit of saturated valves at neighbour friendly volumes.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=12627

Check out this thread. This will really improve the lower volume tones of your amp.

I did this to my DC-10 and it made a huge difference.

I plan on doing this to my DC-3 today. The hardwood cab that I bought from Joey should arrive today and I will have it open anyway.

Thanks for that, I might give it a try. I've just had a look inside the amp (for another reason - more in a minute) and think I can see the resisitor he means. Anyway, the reason I opened it up was an odd buzzing sound. It's a bit like when a mechanical toy or timer is winding itself down. Quite mechanical. It's not coming from the speaker as it's there when on standby and it comes and goes. It wasn't there at all when I had the amp out of the cab but started up again when I put it back in. Doesn't seem to affect the amps playability either. Not that I could tell anyway. Any ideas what it might be? Should I be worried? Thanks in advance for any hints or advice.

Back