mark iv power tube choices

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeppman

Reaction score
Hey everyone-

Lastnight I replaced the outer el34 tubes with the 6l6s. I have two JJ 6l6s, and two SED 6l6s. What a major difference this made in Rhy 1 and Rhy 2. Those channels sounded so much better with the all 6L6 power section, I was amazed... BUT... the lead channel sounded horrible. Wasn't nearly as thick and warm as it is with the el34s. So now my problem is this: Great Clean channel and Rhy 2 overdrive tones, but horrible lead with the all 6l6s, or ok cleans and rhy 2, and a great lead? Is there anyway to get the best of both worlds here, as in different tubes or settings? Anyone else experience this? Thanks guys.

You could try some 6CA7 power tubes they are kind of inbetween EL34s and 6L6s. I use Electro Harmonix 6CA7s in my MKIIC+ and am pretty happy with the sound on both the clean and lead channels.

zeppman said:
Do most of you mark players use all 6l6s or the el34/6l6 combo?

All 6L6s (or 5881s). I'm after the Channel 1 clean tone and 6L6's do it for me. I can bend the other channels to my will.

All 6L6's, IMHO it's the better for this amp !!! Great Clean, Rhythm and Lead sound, nothing's better IMHO !

Settings on amp depend a lot about the guitar, pickups, and cab used here are mine, they're perfect for my gear, it can give me exactly the sound i'm looking for :

GEAR : Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and Luke guitar and Horizontal Recto 2x12 (These settings are for the Axis)

Full Power
Harmonics
Simul-Class
Pentode

Rhy 1 Gain 5 (pulled)
Rhy 2 Gain 7 (pulled)
R1 Treble 7
R1+R2 Bass 3
R1+R2 Mid 8
R2 Treble 7
Lead Gain 8 (pulled)
Lead Treble 7
Lead Bass 4
Lead Mid 9
Lead Drive 7

Presence :

R1 3
R2 4
Lead 3

Master :

R1 3
R2 3
Lead 4

EQ (always switched ON for the 3 Channels)

80 top
240 Middle line
750 Bottom line
2200 Midle line
6600 Just upside Middle line

In my Mark IV I use a pair of JJ EL34's (blue :) ) in the outer sockets and a pair of small bottle JAN/PHILLIPS NOS Military Spec 6L6's. This combo I can't recommend enough - it is simply superb. So rich yet so alive it's MEGA!!

Brian ;)

where is the cheapest place to get JAN/Phillips NOS? I heard those are really good.

well for now I went with two SED 6l6s and two JJ 6l6s.... A little tweaking on the amp, and adjusting pickup height and I'm much happier with the amp. I realized this weekend that although the channels are all good by themselves, really learning how to use the graphic EQ makes a HUGE difference! I have owned this amp for a few years now, and I rarely used the EQ, until I sat down and forced myself to figure it out. What a difference. I don't think I'll be going back to el34s any more either. 6l6s are just a lot more smoother and rich.

I almost always run my Mark IV in class A so I'm only using the 2 outside tubes anyway. I just put in a set of the winged C SED 6L6s and so far I've been happy with them.

Latest posts

Back