What Tube Brand?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronl

Reaction score
Well I had posted about my 50 Caliber + and really got no response, I was going to try to ask this.

What brand tubes would you recommend in the amp?
I hear eurotubes is good, they use JJ but I am open for suggestions!

Aaron

Hey aaronl, and welcome.

JJ's are a great tube if you are going to go with current production. I've tried several other brands, SED was also pretty decent. I find JJs tend to be slightly darker (at least the 6l6/el34 I received) but I liked how they sounded. Probably one of the more reliable tubes out there too. I just read your other post, and as far as what type of tubes you need to put in there, I can't help. Not very familiar with the caliber 50s. If you don't know, it should be in the manual, and if you don't have the manual, call mesa. They are very helpful.

zepman thanks for replying

i found it does take 4 EL84 and 5 12AX7 according to the mesa guys.

if i get jjs i am going to get them from eurotubes.com so i am guessing that is the current models?

i just cant spend the $120+ that mesa wants for mesa tubes :(

Mesa tubes aren't worth the money. They are just relabled tubes (you could buy the same tubes unlabled for about half the cost from another supplier). You will be happy with JJs and bob at eurotubes is a good guy. What do you mean by current models? If you mean current production, than yes, JJs are current production.

zeppman said:
Mesa tubes aren't worth the money. They are just relabled tubes (you could buy the same tubes unlabled for about half the cost from another supplier). You will be happy with JJs and bob at eurotubes is a good guy. What do you mean by current models? If you mean current production, than yes, JJs are current production.

ahhhh
i think u mean NOS?
i am not going NOS hehe dude i aint spending the same amount on tubes that i spent on the amp :)

No, JJs are current production, meaning they are being manufactured currently. NOS = new old stock. Tubes that were manufactured years ago, but haven't been used (or barely used). JJs are produced in the old Tesla factory. Again, JJ=current production where as Tesla= NOS (along with RCA, GE and so on). Mesa tubes are also current production.

Hi Guys -

I just want to reframe the concept of NOS tubes and price: there are some incredible bargains to be had in NOS tubes, for the educated buyer. For instance, Raytheon black plate 12AX7s typically go for less than $10 a piece on eBay and they're amazing. You can't get any new-production tube that compares to the quality, even at more than double that price. NOS need not be dismissed out of hand based on the cost factor (though I grant that they sometimes can be rediculously costly, depending on who you're buying from).

I should also ask the question: "why skimp on quality?" but that is another argument.

Feel free to contact me, any of you, if you want some tips on finding bargain NOS tubes that are a vast improvement over current-production offerings.

Latest posts

Back