Correct way to hook up 2 cabs- Need Help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regret

Reaction score
I usually use my DC-5 with a horizontal Recto 2x12 @8 ohms OR my Marshall 1960AV @4 ohms.

How would I use both together?

DC-5 - Two 4 ohm & One 8 ohm.
Recto 2x12 - One 8 ohm
1960AV - Two 8 ohm stereo or One 4 or 16 ohm mono

Thanks,
Robert

When you use the Marshall cab, use the 2, 8ohm stereo outputs, with 2 speaker cables, plugged into the 2-4ohm outputs on the amp.

The only "proper" way to run both would be to use the 2-12 and ONE side of the 1960, i.e. just 2 speakers in the 4-12. Anything else will give you impedance mis-matches. I don't know how well the DC-5 handles a mis-match. Call Mesa tech support and ask.

My kid has one of these cabs. I think they sound great!

RussB said:
When you use the Marshall cab, use the 2, 8ohm stereo outputs, with 2 speaker cables, plugged into the 2-4ohm outputs on the amp.

The only "proper" way to run both would be to use the 2-12 and ONE side of the 1960, i.e. just 2 speakers in the 4-12. Anything else will give you impedance mis-matches. I don't know how well the DC-5 handles a mis-match. Call Mesa tech support and ask.

My kid has one of these cabs. I think they sound great!

Yeah I'll have to call for sure.

Thanks,
Robert

Make sure you run the same load to both cabs whatever you do. I run the 4 ohm and 4 ohm outputs to my 2x12 and 4x12.

When my ext cab is done, that is how I am hooking up. The single 12s each going to the 4 ohm jacks.

i dont know how the power section on a DC5 is wired, but in my f30
manual, it says i could plug the internal speaker (8ohm) into the
4 ohm jack and a 16 ohm marshall 4x12 in to the 8ohm jack.
they call this a "safe mismatch"

Regret said:
I usually use my DC-5 with a horizontal Recto 2x12 @8 ohms OR my Marshall 1960AV @4 ohms.

How would I use both together?

DC-5 - Two 4 ohm & One 8 ohm.
Recto 2x12 - One 8 ohm
1960AV - Two 8 ohm stereo or One 4 or 16 ohm mono

Thanks,
Robert

If the Marshall 4x12 is rated 4ohm, it will have four 16ohm spks wired all in parallel. You can rewire it as series-parallel to make it 16ohm total, and run the Mesa cab to the 4ohm jack, and the Marshall to the 8ohm jack.

Back