DC-5 loyal users chime up

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caluder

Reaction score
hello folks,and thank you for a boogie board.over the past 7-10 years ive owned aa bunch of amps ie: soldano,rivera,fender,ada racks,carvin,and several differant boogies.a first run dual reto,mkiv,v twins,and been through 5 yes 5 dc 5 heads.ive always come back to these great amps.its so versitile as you get a almost blackfaced clean with a boost if needed,but the lead channel is where it shines to me.sounds to me a mix of a recto and a mkiv then you kick in the 5 band and it rips.reverb sucks but you cant have it all.my point is after all the gear ivee went through over the years i could have saved alot of time and $ if i would have stuck with my first dc5 almost 10 years ago.too bad boogie has stopped making them.so come on all you caliber users and chime up.who knows this may be the next mkiic+.

The DC-5 is the only Mesa I have and I like it more everytime I play it.
Good to see I'm not the only one who likes this amp.

The loudest 50w I have ever heard. I also really like the rhythm channel.

Oh yeah, I think the gain is enough for what I'll ever need. I can play metal easily with it, but I don't like too much gain just enough to where it starts getting saturated but not super buzzy. For playing heavy I usually have the gain on 7 (depending on the volume).

Anyone want to share their DC settings?

Robert

the gain on the dc is almost like the dual recto only the dc has the 5 band eq to give it that old school mesa flavor.plenty of gain trust me.here are my lead settings
gain-10
bass-10
mid-3
trebel-8
pres.-6
master-3
overal master(big knob on right)-5
set the 5 band to the old smiley with bass all the way upbut highs not all the way.

I have the DC-5 Widebody combo and use it with a 1x12 3/4 back widebody ext cab, both speakes are C90's (pictured below at the far left). I can't say enough good things about that amp either. I have other amps that cost way more but the DC-5 hangs with the best of them. It is simply a great all around amp that will cover a lot of musical ground.

I see a lot of questions on various board for amp suggestions on a budget and the DC-5 is always my choice. You cant find a better amp for the money they go for these days......... in my opinion anyways.

ampwalllmedium.JPG

-Shawn

I've been liking these settings but it always changes.

Rhythm- Warm, fat, clean
No Boost
Gain: 4
Treb: 4
Mid: 1
Bass: 4
Pres: 3
Rev: 5
Master: 3-4
No EQ
Output: 1.5+

Rhythm - Pushed, soft picking=clean, hard picking=slight crunch
No Boost
Gain: 5
Treb: 5
Mid: 3
Bass: 5
Rev: 3
No EQ

Rhythm- Crunch
Pull Boost Activated
Gain: 5
Treb: 7
Mid: 7
Bass: 3
Rev: 0
No EQ

Lead- Heavy Rhythm, digging in brings out the aggression
Gain: 7-8
Treb: 7-8
Mid: 7
Bass: 5
Pres: 5
Rev: 0
EQ in a slight V curve that I've been liking.

I use these settings with my Schecter C-7 and Scorpion.

I pretty sure the only difference between the DC-5 and DC-10 is the addition of 2 power tubes to give it 100 watts vs. 50 watts of the DC-5, pre-amps are identical

The DC-10 had a half power switch too, actually taking it down to 60 watts when used. Also, I think the combo version was only available as a 212.

I used to have a DC-5 combo and the wide body speaker. Traded it last year for a Nomad 100 212. The DC-5 was great, but I've no regrets.

I totally dig both my .50 combo and my DC-5 head and cab.

Sadly, i'm getting rid of my DC-5 head & 2x12 cab because happily I am going to be a father & I need the cash.

Please check out the market place and/or http://users.adelphia.net/~robroth/mesadc5.html

Sorry for the sameless plug but i do really love both of thses amps.

Back