Is there any difference between IIC+ 60W and 60/100W?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamed

Reaction score
Hi guys im coming to you as i have the chance to grab a 1985 iic+ 60w geq head for great price in my local area, however im concerned about the 60w version as not having gain enough or being metal (think metallica`s sound) enough for my applications as compared to the 60/100w or simulclass...
So i was wondering if it would be better to wait longer and spend WAY more for a 60/100w or simulclass version on ebay etc. Or just pull the trigger on this one.

Ive seen threads only lightly discussing the 60w head version without delving into it much, and i need to have a final answer to quench my doubts.
Ive heard the 60pt transformers are lacking compared to 100pt or the 105pt ones.

And if there is anyone who was able to A/B the versions also i would like to invite you to comment and help me decide..

Thanks guys.

Wait for the 100W HRG or 75W DRG... they sound bigger and the bottom end stays tighter. Especially for Tallica tones.

It's not a IIc+ but I'm about to send a Mark III 60geq to jrb to finish off a III+ mod, he'll be able to compare it to a IIc+ sound. Apparently they're basically the same as the 100w but with less headroom but we'll see.

I'd jump on a GEQ IIC+ regardless but that's because a GEQ IIC+ never comes up for sale here in the UK unless at some ridiculous price!

If it's local go try it out and go from there! 60Ws are considered hidden gems by some and are definitely not a better or worse amp - just different feels because of the transformer differences. The non-EQ ones have a different cap before the power amp stage which also makes them sound different. Then you have all the varying components inside between each IIC+ so it's even hard to compare two identical models as they'll sound completely different! Just go try it out and if it's for you definitely pull the trigger. If something feels lacking then wait for another.

xdg999 is the guy to talk to on here regarding general feel in different versions - he has about 12 C+s!

I don’t have a 60 watt c+ but I liked my Mark lll SRG Black Stripe so much that I sent it to Mesa for service and the lll+ mod. It doesn’t have the low end of the Mark lll+ DRG’s but it has great touch response and plenty of gain. I also like that it’s light enough to be a grab and go combo with an MC-90 speaker. 100 watt c+’s with the 105 transformer are tighter and faster than the Simul’s. My favorite c+ is an HR that I recently bought that has 6 12ax7’s. The 6th 12ax7 is a cathode follower that Mike B. installed. All of my c+’s are great amps but this one is special.

In direct answer to your original question, gain is all in the preamp stages and whether or not the power amp is 60 watts, 100 watts, 60/100, or any flavor of simulclass makes no difference to thee amount of gain and distortion you'll be able to get. There will be some tonal differences due to the differing output stages and transformer types but a straight 60 will have the same high gain crunchy preamp as a simulclass model.

The 60 wattters are great amps, no different until your in a stadium! I play my amps at as low a volume you can have, around 1.5 on the master so if you have a place to turn a 60 up to 2, it's loud loud.

You can't play loud anymore, bunch-a-crybabies.

Lamed said:
Hi guys im coming to you as i have the chance to grab a 1985 iic+ 60w geq head for great price in my local area, however im concerned about the 60w version as not having gain enough or being metal (think metallica`s sound) enough for my applications as compared to the 60/100w or simulclass...
So i was wondering if it would be better to wait longer and spend WAY more for a 60/100w or simulclass version on ebay etc. Or just pull the trigger on this one.

Ive seen threads only lightly discussing the 60w head version without delving into it much, and i need to have a final answer to quench my doubts.
Ive heard the 60pt transformers are lacking compared to 100pt or the 105pt ones.

And if there is anyone who was able to A/B the versions also i would like to invite you to comment and help me decide..

Thanks guys.
My advice is to go for it. A C+ with GEQ is not easy to get. Regarding 60w vs 100 is headroom, which you can experience if you have both, the 60 has enough power, and gain is all in the preamp section. The sound of a 100 vs 60 is very much alike, but the simuls sound brighter. I usually gig and rehearse with my 60 just because it is lighter to carry along. It never lets me down in anyway soundwise or power. My simuls usually stays in my home/studio.
If you decide to wait, a 100 GEQ might come available tomorrow, or maybe NEVER.

Back