Mark IIC+ with no output transformer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it need a new Output Transformer or a new Power Transformer? Double check this first.

Here are the models of each for the IIC+:

Output

60W OT - T60-152019,
100W T100-152019
Simul Class - SC-152019B
Coliseum 180W - SD 190555

Power

60W PT - 00-162310
60W Export - X62-162318
Early 100W - 100-162318
Simul/60-100 Power - 105-162318
X101 Export -162318
180W Coliseum - 0180322

Some of the Schumacher transformers continued into the Mark III production range and also into the Mark IV but changed their product number. I think there was a thread on here where someone had a Mark IV transformer in theirs which was done by Mesa as they ran out of IIC+ transformers? Also loads of good info here:

http://www.forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11253

Either way find out EXACTLY what transformer has blown, the EXACT model number you need, and check it definitely has blown and isn't something else wrong with the amp (make sure the rest of it is there!). Then give Boogie a call for advice. You can test these things by using the maintenance manual: http://mesaboogie.com/media/User%20Manuals/Mark%20II-C%20Manual%20-%20Maintenance%20&%20Repair.pdf

It specifically says:

5. Output transformer. If all voltages are correct and good clean drive appears on the 6L6 grids (pins 5)
but not on the plates (pins 3), or on the plates but not at the speaker jacks, the output transformer is
suspect. To verify, use a substitute. Fender transformers (Bassman for 60-watt models, Twin or Showman
for 100-watt models) may be used until original replacement arrives. If Fender transformer is used,
temporarily move feedback over to four ohm jack as Fender transformers have no 8 ohm winding.

So if the Power Transformer is OK it should still power up and get voltage to the valves.

That's the first thing to check to then you can go from there. Shame you don't have the old transformer as companies can cut them open and clone them usually. Mesa should be able to source you with a replacement as close as possible to the original once you know the exact issue.

Let us know how you get on!

Sorry to hear! Always gotta get internal pics before buying these just in case. Some are IICs and others... well.

One thing I would check though is that it's NOT an early Mark III? Some development versions have been sold and are common in California (ones owned by Mesa employees that were never intended to leave the factory but did) which will have a Mark IIC+ faceplate but Mark III PCB. You can tell because the Middle Pot will be a Push/Pull and it'll have an all in one PCB for everything (Preamp, Power, EQ, Reverb)

See here for an example of this:

https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=74112

I'd double check that first just in case. With pics though it'd be easy to tell straight away what you have exactly.

Thanks and sorry to hear again about this! Who knows maybe you have a Mark III development model...?

So what was the price you paid for this fake?

That actually interests me because it'd be a great platform for me to do experiments on.

I'm currently doing a lot of tweaking and tone shaping tests on an SOB but it'd be nice to be working with a chassis that has four or even five preamp tubes.

An SOB without reverb only has three. One being the phase inverter, that only gives you four tube halves to play with so high gain options are really limited.

I've gotten it to sound like a really monstrous JTM45 and it's so touch sensitive it's insane, but it's never going to deliver the high gain I really want out of it.

Latest posts

Back