1989 Mark III new master Vol pot

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingtaupo

Reaction score
I am pretty decent with a soldering iron. I have built a strat from parts and it worked! Not bragging just giving perspective. I was putting up my boogie in its road case a couple of weeks ago and sheared off the pulled out Master Vol pot arm. I called Boogie to get a new one and I have that in hand. It is not the same size or lug configuration as the original.
I was going to just pull out the old one and re-solder the new one in. Am I making a mistake thinking that I should be able to do the work myself or an I in over my head?

Thanks in advance for the help.

If you know how to solder you should be ok. I've done it on my Rocket 44. Just be careful not to put your hands near any of the big caps. If in doubt learn how to discharge them. Other than that it's pretty easy to just solder the wires onto the new pot.

You should be fine. As noted above, make sure the caps are drained- they can hold quite a charge for quite a while!

Make sure the pot is a compatible replacement even though it looks different. Mesa's usually pretty good about replacement parts.

Post pics here if you're not sure.

I actually call yesterday and asked them to send me a direct replacement - $15.00 instead of $5. Should be here over the weekend. I have not powered up the AMP since Aug 2nd so I think I will be fine but as understand it you drain the caps by connecting the 1st preamp tube to the chassis with a single alligator clipped wire?
I am a little worried because there is a ground wire (i think) that is soldered in series to all the other pots and looks like it goes through the lug and not just attached. I guess they split the log 1st and then soldered it?
I will get started when the part comes and reply back with status and pict's if I get lost.
Thanks to you guys for the review. Let me know if you have any other nuggets.

F

Kingtaupo said:
I have not powered up the AMP since Aug 2nd so I think I will be fine but as understand it you drain the caps by connecting the 1st preamp tube to the chassis with a single alligator clipped wire?

Yep. The plate of any preamp tube- pin 1 or 6.

Kingtaupo said:
I am a little worried because there is a ground wire (i think) that is soldered in series to all the other pots and looks like it goes through the lug and not just attached. I guess they split the log 1st and then soldered it?

Split the lug? That's what I'd do- desolder and cut the old pot's lug, split the new pot's lug, spread it then close it over the ground wire and solder it.

Be aware too the space behind the front panel is very very tight.
You might be able to get the old pot out with the broken shaft, but the new pot, being longer, may not just drop in.
I'd entertain the idea of having to move the preamp board back a bit - it's a pain I know, but might be necessary..
Just forwarning ya, is all..

Dave

McBarry Thanks for the heads up. You are so right. I was actually trying to get the broken pot out the other night and stopped because it was so tight. I did not even think about putting the new (longer) one in. I am not sure how I am gonna accomplish that??!!
You said move the preamp board, is that really hard? That might be out of my league of repair. Is moving it a temporary thing or permanent?
The problem is from where I am located the nearest authorized repair is 200 miles away.

It would be temporary. You'd need to discharge the filter caps, remove the preamp tubes, lift the board off of it's standoffs and push it back.

I just had to do this to my DC-3 in order to replace an inductor on the GEQ board. The inductors were actually under the main PCB. I also had to unbolt the jacks, switches and some of the pots from the chassis and remove and replace a couple of zip ties because their leads were too short to allow the board to move back far enough.

Take pics as you go if you're unsure about how it'll all go back together.

It all sounds like a big deal but it really wasn't bad. Just be glad you're not working on a late '80s or newer Marshall! :x

Sounds like U guys have got it sorted..
Only thing I'd add, from experience, is it's a simple thing to removed knobs, release all pots from faceplate, pull tubes, detatch standoffs and slide preamp board back a few mm..
Yes, it's a pain in the butt.. but I really don't wanna break or try and force anything there - the outcome could be a world of pain..

And totally agree, discharge caps and all usual asfety precautions prevail.. And taking pre-work pic is a godsend in this age of digital imagery..

Good luck, but sounds like yr nearly all sorted..

Dave

The pot is in and it all sounds great!
Thanks to everyone who help we sort this out.
It was easier than I expected and certainly saved me a lot of $ doing it myself. I have donated to the Boogie board.

Thanks again!

Back