• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for tech near West London

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boola

Reaction score
I have a Quad Preamp that needs a bit of TLC, can anybody recommend a good tech near West London?

Thanks!

Hi mate,

Was speaking to a friend about this tonight and remembered your post. He recommends a company called Guitar Aid next to Putney Bridge. He was raving about them tonight after having various alterations and repairs done to a few different pieces. I have never used them personally and I am not affiliated with them in any way. Just thought I would give you the info anyway in case you are still looking.

Cheers,

Breenbear

:D

Thanks for the tip Breenbear, I took the quad to them, they fixed it and it only cost £40. I was very pleased with their service.

I just remembered to update this thread.

Soon after getting the Quad back, I had EXACTLY the same issues. When I collected the amp, I had asked what they fixed as they didn't replace the LDRs (which I had supplied), Greg (the owner) was quite vague and said something like "changed a few components" but nothing specific.

Well since then I have had the amp open and cannot see ANY soldering or new components whatsoever. It is my opinion that they did absolutely nothing to the amp and because it wasn't playing up at that point, they thought they could get away with it.

I am now in the process of changing the LDRs myself, I have had bad experiences with techs before and this is another one to add to the list.

I'm still searching for a good tech in West London if anybody knows one.

Once again, if you want my advice, avoid Guitar Aid at all costs.

Thanks for the help but that is another tale of woe I'm afraid. I spoke to Westside 2 or 3 years ago when I needed some work done on my Mark IV. They gave me the details of Surrey Amps who were an authorized Boogie workshop.

Unfortunately I had a bad experience with them too. The owner told me he wouldn't replace carbon comp resistors, he would only use metal film, even though Randall's design obviously uses carbon comp in certain positions for a reason. I found him rude and arrogant and took ages to fix the amp. He basically told me that he knew better than Mesa Boogie about how to build amps. The final straw was when shouted down the phone to me when I had called simply to ask him what plate voltage the MarkIV power tubes run at. I couldn't believe I was paying for this service!

Surrey amps is thankfully no longer an authorized Boogie workshop - possibly due to this guy's terrible attitude but that's just another example of the bad luck I've had with amp techs in my area. After that experience, I didn't think to speak to Westside again. Maybe I'll give them a ring next time I need something done.

This is why I've bought a better soldering iron and started to learn how to do things myself, that way, if I get terrible service, at least it's free!

John Kelly — serviced my Subway Rocket and a Mark IV. Quite a few years ago, but he did a great service on the Mark IV, and brought the Rocket back from the grave. IIRC he charges a bench fee, but it covers your first hour of labour (and he tends to get things done in that hour).

From what I remember, he actually worked at Boogie for a while many years ago, although I could be wrong.

Found this old, resurrected thread looking for his details — here they are for all to share.

John Kelly (Electronics) Ltd
020 7359 8001
28 Rheidol Mews
London
N1 8NU

Back