Dc-5 in the shop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Littlefred

Reaction score
My dual caliber dc-5 has been in the shop for almost 6 months now. I’m pretty sure I’ll get it back but it has made me wonder, is there a modern Mesa that sounds similar. I had a mark V and did not like it because it is exactly what it said. 3 amps (or more)in one. When I switched channels I wanted my amp to sound like my amp with more or less gain and perhaps some eq change. Not another amp all together. Will the Fillmore, triple crown or a recto get me anywhere close to the dc-5. Hoping it won’t but I’d like a backup plan if something catastrophic were to happen to the vintage amp I’ve been playing since I bought it new.

Problem with the old amp is that the plastic connector that holds the aluminum tube carriage is broken and cannot be sourced. It has been frustrating and has me scared that some other part that is actually critical may go out. Has me scared of vintage amps. Was the mark iv suggestion more for the clean Chanel or hi-gain?

Problem with the old amp is that the plastic connector that holds the aluminum tube carriage is broken and cannot be sourced. It has been frustrating and has me scared that some other part that is actually critical may go out. Has me scared of vintage amps. Was the mark iv suggestion more for the clean Chanel or hi-gain?

Hey if you mean the tube retainer thing, the amp should run fine without. I meant both channels. I found the lead channel to be more aggressive in the dc (and easier to dial in).

Sorry to hear you are having problems man. My DC 5 is my go to main amp for decades. Not sure what the part is that you're looking for, but sometimes with older gear (not just audio) you have to improvise or fabricate. This amp is so worth keeping up. Hope you are able to fix it. I don't think there's an exact match of course, but if you can find another DC 5 you'd be getting a great deal right now. I think the F series, and express would be the closest? The Roadster is also a great option. BTW, if you chose to bail out on the repairs, You might list it here. I for one would be interested in a deal.

Mac

I’ve been running my DC5 without the preamp tube protector for years.

This isn't a problem you should leave your amp in repair for at all, never mind 6 months. Honestly, it's just to help keep the preamp tubes secure. It's not necessary to operate whatsoever. If mine were broken, I'd leave it off. It's a pain when you change tubes anyway.

Otherwords; go get your amp back. It will work fine without it. (y)

Another Dc user without a tube retainer. Similar sounds can be had from the .50 caliber or Nomad. If the tech can't return a working amp I would get the cash equivalent before he disappears.

Back