Boost in effect loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax49

Reaction score
I see that some people run Boost pedals in Effect Loops. I have a Fulltone 2B that I want to try in the effect loops on a .50 Caliber+. Would there be a problem doing this?

Thanks,

Absolutely no problem. As a matter of fact I find placing a boost in the loop makes it a much cleaner boost as it's not hitting the front of the amp but boosting after the input & preamp. I personally would place it at the end of the effects chain in the loop.

jpistolas said:
Absolutely no problem. As a matter of fact I find placing a boost in the loop makes it a much cleaner boost as it's not hitting the front of the amp but boosting after the input & preamp. I personally would place it at the end of the effects chain in the loop.

Fully agree. The advantage is that you can get a solo boost to cut through the mix without needing support from the FOH mixer. The only thing you should observe is that the boost is not overdriven by the effects loop signal but in most Mesa amps the level before the send jack is sufficiently attentuated to not make this happen.

You might want to consider an EQ pedal. Our perception of volume has as much to do with frequency content as sound pressure, hence the "proximity effect" of cardioid microphones. What I do is use an EQ pedal in the loop (or the GEQ of my .50 Cal+ on a footswitch if I'm not using it as part of my basic tone), mostly flat except with a little bit of a bump in the low end to give it a little more thump. Basically what I'm trying to do is make it sound "closer" to the listener, the same way that a mic picks up more bass the closer it is to the source. Then I only have to add a dB or two of gain and it really cuts through on solos.

Latest posts

Back