Boost in effect loop

DC-2, 3, 5, 10
50 Caliber

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

madmax49
Bottle Rocket

Boost in effect loop

Post by madmax49 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:22 am

I see that some people run Boost pedals in Effect Loops. I have a Fulltone 2B that I want to try in the effect loops on a .50 Caliber+. Would there be a problem doing this?

Thanks,

jpistolas
Mark II

Re: Boost in effect loop

Post by jpistolas » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:01 am

Absolutely no problem. As a matter of fact I find placing a boost in the loop makes it a much cleaner boost as it's not hitting the front of the amp but boosting after the input & preamp. I personally would place it at the end of the effects chain in the loop.
DC-5B Head-Mesa 2x12 Halfback

darkbluemurder
Mark II

Re: Boost in effect loop

Post by darkbluemurder » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:09 am

jpistolas wrote:Absolutely no problem. As a matter of fact I find placing a boost in the loop makes it a much cleaner boost as it's not hitting the front of the amp but boosting after the input & preamp. I personally would place it at the end of the effects chain in the loop.
Fully agree. The advantage is that you can get a solo boost to cut through the mix without needing support from the FOH mixer. The only thing you should observe is that the boost is not overdriven by the effects loop signal but in most Mesa amps the level before the send jack is sufficiently attentuated to not make this happen.