The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:06 am 
Bottle Rocket

So I was going to get a Mark IV but I recently also have the chance to get a DC-5 for much cheaper, but I also really like the Mark IV's sound. How close can the DC-5 get to the MIV's tightness and lead sound? Obviously it won't be exactly the same, but I am just wondering if it is close enough. Would perhaps a boost pedal help as well?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:04 pm 
Mark II

I have both a DC-5 and Mark IV, and I tried the same thing. To me they both sound like Boogies but there is a big difference in sound when you A/B them.

I think R1 on both amps are very similar. I prefer R2 on the DC and you'd probably get some lower gain Mark IV style tones with a boost.

Having said that, I don't use the EQ on either amp unless I'm going for a Metallica or Dream Theater sound. If I have time the next few days, I'll throw a boost on my DC and see if I can get it to sound similar to my Mark IV, then I'll post the settings.

93 97 98 PRS CE24
94 98 G&L Legacy
94 G&L ASAT Special
95 G&L S-500
99 Peavy Wolfgang
11 Gibson LP Studio 60

69 Bandmaster Head
88 Quad Pre
91 & 92 Simul 295
92 DC-5
96 Mark IV Maple/Wicker
98 5150 combo
08 Mark IV Wide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:20 pm 
Bottle Rocket

If you have any clips of either of the amps (especially the dc-5) I'd like to hear them if you have some.

The Dc-5 intrigues me because people say it is a mix of a rectifier and mark IV which sounds awesome, but I am interested in how true that actually is and if it can emulate both of them well, especially the mark IV since I tend to like that sound more.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:19 am 
Mark II

The preamp might come close, but the power section will not, due to the wattage and also how it was designed.

That said, you can get some awesome sounds out of the DC-5 lead channel, especially with some good tubes. With the gain up high it becomes very liquid sounding, and with the EQ even lower gain settings can crush.