How close can a DC-5 get to a MIV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiiqwertyuiop

Reaction score
So I was going to get a Mark IV but I recently also have the chance to get a DC-5 for much cheaper, but I also really like the Mark IV's sound. How close can the DC-5 get to the MIV's tightness and lead sound? Obviously it won't be exactly the same, but I am just wondering if it is close enough. Would perhaps a boost pedal help as well?

I have both a DC-5 and Mark IV, and I tried the same thing. To me they both sound like Boogies but there is a big difference in sound when you A/B them.

I think R1 on both amps are very similar. I prefer R2 on the DC and you'd probably get some lower gain Mark IV style tones with a boost.

Having said that, I don't use the EQ on either amp unless I'm going for a Metallica or Dream Theater sound. If I have time the next few days, I'll throw a boost on my DC and see if I can get it to sound similar to my Mark IV, then I'll post the settings.

If you have any clips of either of the amps (especially the dc-5) I'd like to hear them if you have some.

The Dc-5 intrigues me because people say it is a mix of a rectifier and mark IV which sounds awesome, but I am interested in how true that actually is and if it can emulate both of them well, especially the mark IV since I tend to like that sound more.

The preamp might come close, but the power section will not, due to the wattage and also how it was designed.

That said, you can get some awesome sounds out of the DC-5 lead channel, especially with some good tubes. With the gain up high it becomes very liquid sounding, and with the EQ even lower gain settings can crush.

Back