DC-5 All Dressed up - Ready to Rock

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbonesullivan

Reaction score
Well, after years of avoiding it, I finally emailed Mesa Boogie (Thanks Trent!!) and got a replacement tube guard for the DC-5. I had it out a few times, and nearly had a power tube get killed. Seeing as SED tubes aren't growing on trees anymore, I want to keep them intact.

I also changed the tubes around a bit inside to give a better sound:
V1 (input for lead and rhythm): Tung Sol Reissue
V2 (Lead channel): Sylvania 12AX7
V3 (lead channel +efx): JJ ECC83S
V4 (rhythm Channel): 12AX7A China
V5 (reverb): Sovtek 12AX7WA
V6 (phase inverter): Balanced Electro Harmonix 12AX7

I love how the amp looks. I thought about changing the jewel to a faceted blue or purple, but I like the original jewel best.

DC-5-01.jpg

DC-5-02.jpg

DC-5-03.jpg

It certainly howls a bit more now than it did with the Sovtek 12AX7WB in the V2 slot.

I haven't really noticed any increase in noise, either background or microphonic. I haven't blasted it yet though. V2 was originally a sovtek 12AX7WB, so pretty much anything would be an improvement.

I just got in some used old stock tubes, so I'm considering putting one of those in the phase inverter slot, but I also have a Maverick 2x12 to think about. So many tubes, so little time. I do have to be more careful with a combo though, as the longer plate tubes can cause issues.

tbonesullivan said:
I haven't really noticed any increase in noise, either background or microphonic. I haven't blasted it yet though. V2 was originally a sovtek 12AX7WB, so pretty much anything would be an improvement.

I just got in some used old stock tubes, so I'm considering putting one of those in the phase inverter slot, but I also have a Maverick 2x12 to think about. So many tubes, so little time. I do have to be more careful with a combo though, as the longer plate tubes can cause issues.
Ok, I misunderstood V2 "howling". Was thinking it was noisy, not wailing. 8)

Tube rolling can become a endless project...

gag halfrunt said:
Ok, I misunderstood V2 "howling". Was thinking it was noisy, not wailing. 8)

Tube rolling can become a endless project...
Oh yes, definitely wailing. More crunchy goodness. V3 had originally been an RCA 12AT7 as well, so that may have mellowed the amp as well.

Thankfully I still have the remains of tube rolling from previous amps, mostly lots of Sovtek 12AX7WA tubes / GT12AX7-Rs from new Carvin amps I purchased. I do really wish I had stocked up on Ei preamp tubes and SED power tubes back 10 years ago when I first got into tube switching. New Old stock and ANOS tubes were a lot harder to find back then though.

Latest posts

Back