The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:54 pm 
Mark II

So, I finally got my tube guard for the power tubes, and now I'm finally checking out to see what kind of tubes are in the beast. The PO had told me that there was an EH 12AT7 in the phase inverter spot, but I had it serviced, so it is possible it was re-arranged. This is what I found:

V1: Tung Sol Reissue
V2: Sovtek 12AX7WB
V3: 12AT7 Marked U.S.A. - Looks like an RCA - remnants of orange and red letters
V4: 12AX7A CHINA
V5: EH 12AT7
V6: Baldwin Marked 12AX7 - Sylvania 12AX7WA USA Made

So, I guess, what would people recommend for the DC-5? So far I have liked the sound, though the reverb always seemed anemic on the top end. I've put a sovtek 12AX7WA in there, as I have a lot of barely used ones that I usually put in the reverb spot for dependability.

What about the 12AT7 as the final lead gain stage and FX Driver? Is there any danger? I really haven't had any complaints about the sound, but I have also wondered if I could get a bit more "beef" on the lead channel. Also I worry that the Sylvania tube is wasted in the Phase inverter spot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:47 am 
Mark II

Here's a similar topic and there is a pic of the tube layout just in case you need it.

https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34284

I got the amp used and I assume the preamp tubes were stock but I replaced v1 like yours with a Tug Sol. I don't think the at7s will damage the amp, but I would probably roll ax7s in v3 and v5 to see if they make any difference. I like to hear that sylvania in v3 and/or v1 though!

93 97 98 PRS CE24
94 98 G&L Legacy
94 G&L ASAT Special
95 G&L S-500
99 Peavy Wolfgang
11 Gibson LP Studio 60

69 Bandmaster Head
88 Quad Pre
91 & 92 Simul 295
92 DC-5
96 Mark IV Maple/Wicker
98 5150 combo
08 Mark IV Wide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:22 am 
Mark II

jediguitarist wrote:
I got the amp used and I assume the preamp tubes were stock but I replaced v1 like yours with a Tug Sol. I don't think the at7s will damage the amp, but I would probably roll ax7s in v3 and v5 to see if they make any difference. I like to hear that sylvania in v3 and/or v1 though!
I've had good luck with the Tung Sol reissues in V1. I got a used Marshall TSL122 where someone replaced EVERY preamp tube with one, so I swapped those out for some other tubes like chinese and EHX.

The sylvania I am definitely going to move to somewhere more important to the overdrive sound. The lead channel is V1, V2, and V3, but I don't know which if those locations would have the most effect on getting the overdrive out of that tube. Which triodes are the ones being overdriven the most?