NAD: DC-5b head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guit_fishN

Reaction score
Hey gents,

Back in the early 2000s, I owned a Lone Star Special. I traded it for a Telecaster. It didn't have the cleans I wanted--I've since gotten a Princeton and Deluxe for those cleans.

I wasn't really in the market for an amp--I've got too many as it is, but, I saw a DC-5 pop up on the local Craig's List and the guy needed money quick, so, I got it for $400. It is a version b and has a high serial number (30k). I will say that I've been pining for a V:25 for a while--but, I've mainly been watching the used market for one to get around $1k. But, searching is not something I actively do.

Before I agreed to buy, I came here and did some research. This forum is an invaluable resource. So, thanks! :mrgreen:

It seems that, for the most part, people love the DC-5s and view them as an underrated amp. I read on some thread that Chevelle used these in the early days. I like Chevelle--a nice, heavy tone.

I was a bit worried about the volume. I got the impression that at 2, it would rattle your fillings out. It is LOUD, but, I had no problems dialing in a great sound without rattling the windows. Granted, I wouldn't play that loud at 11 p.m. with the kids sleeping.

My question: Why are these amps:
  1. Underrated
  2. So cheap compared to the Mk amps

Are the components cheap? What is it?

It would seem that, even if they were sold early on cheaper than Mk amp, if everyone loves them, why do they still fetch Chinese amp prices?

Thanks for any insight.

I think it's just because they were not built or used in the #s the Mark and Rectifiers were.

I've been using DCs exclusively for about 5 years now. I strayed off to Rectifiers and a couple of Expresses for a few months, but, always back to the DCs.

If the big metal acts were using DCs it would be a different story. But, they were all using Rectifiers and Marks. So the DC never really made a big market impact. Even though they are FANTASTIC amps.

Under Rated: no. More like under-marketed.

Cheaper? For the same reason above.

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. Mesa couldn't sell a non-rectifier head at the same price as a rectifier when all the bands at the time had rectifiers.

It's like when Gibson discontinued LPs . . . until all the cool guys started playing them.

Congrats on the DC! Took me 4 Marshalls & a Peavey 5150 before I bought mine. Had the sound I wanted and has stood up to some heavy punishment over the years. Now if I could just find a deal on a DC combo I'd die a happy man! LOL :lol: :lol:

:mrgreen: You guys are killing me.....I've been looking for a DC5 head for a long time!
I love my DC3, but the 5 has a bit more of what I am looking for.

Congrats on the great price!

Latest posts

Back