Studio Caliber lead channel goes out after 5 minutes???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thozzman

Reaction score
Hey guys, any help here would be appreciated.
I found a Studio Caliber amp at a local guitar store. Loved the tone but here's the deal: after trying it out on two different days, about 5 minutes after being turned on, the gain channel suddenly goes bad. It still produces sound, but volume level is drastically reduced, virtually no gain, and hum is heard big time. The sales guy first time removed and reinserted all the tubes and then tried it out and the gain channel was fine. He called me to say its ok now. Today I went in to possibly buy it, but after a few minutes of playing both channels, the gain channel did the same thing again. Clean (rhythm) channel is fine.
So it appears that when the amp and tubes warm up, something must overheat and screw up the gain channel.
The sales guy has no idea what the real issue is but says they'll mark it way down and sell as is.
Any idea what the problem may be and how expensive to fix? Thanks.

Most likely a tube problem.

If it is, taking them out and putting them back in will do absolutely nothing to help.

Sounds like dirty send receive jack connector issues.
Bridge the send to receive using a short lead and let us know if this doesn't fix the problem.
Had similar issue with the 22, sounded good for a while then just dropped volume and all weird.

Latest posts

Back