DC-2 three channel options

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksguitarplanet

Reaction score
Hello all
Sorry in advance for the long post but I need to get this worked out.
I am on my 3rd Mesa combo. My previous 2 Mesas were a DC-3 and Express 5:25 that I had to sell unfortunately.
I will try and keep this one. :mrgreen:

I am going to be gigging 2-3 times a month now so I want to get my live rig dialed.
I think that the DC-2 is just perfect for gigging with its size and 20 watts. My amp has the contour switch as well.
I really don't want to get another amp. It seems that a lot of guitarists go the DRRI route.
The band is playing classic rock, mostly from the 60's and 70's.
The heaviest songs are China Grove, Born to be Wild, and Smoke on the Water.
We play a lot of southern rock. There is another guitarist and a keyboard player in the band as well.
My main guitar is a Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special (Strat HSS). I also have a Tele.

Here is my question:
How can I get a 3 channel setup (clean, rhythm, and lead)?
I was thinking either:
the rhythm channel for clean, rhythm channel with a pedal (or two) for rhythm, and the lead channel for lead
OR
the rhythm channel for clean, lead channel for rhythm, and the lead channel with a pedal for lead

I think I probably need two rhythm sounds. A grit sound (Mary Jane's last dance) and crunch (China Grove).
That is why I am leaning toward the first option. I could have two different pedals for those two sounds.
I am worried about the second option because I don't think I can get a mild grit out of the lead channel.
I have a looper switcher so I am able to turn what ever pedals on and off AND change amp channels with one click so I am not worried about that.
I was thinking of going with a EHX soul food and an OCD drive in the rhythm channel.
Another option is maybe go between the neck single coil and bridge humbucker for the two rhythms.
Is this amp more scooped or mid heavy?

Thank you for your advice and this great forum!

I can tell you what I do with my DC3s (2 heads into one Mesa 2x12 Vertical cabinet with a HeadBone).

I use my clean channel for cleans and then a FullTone OCD for crunch on the clean channel (Rhythm and Clean) with the GEQ disabled on the Clean channel. OCD has drive at 9:00, Volume 3:00, and Tone 3:00. HP switch is on.

For my lead tone, I use the lead channel with the OCD and the GEQ enabled. So most of the time the OCD is on (Foo Fighters, Nirvana, QOSTA, etc...) and using the Clean channel with the OCD. For songs that are Clean (quiet verse) and Dirty (Chorus) I leave it on the Clean channel and switch my OCD on and off.

Then for leads I just switch over to the Lead channel and either leave the OCD on or turn it on if not already on.

This works the best for my needs, and really provides all of the tones I would ever need.

Thanks for the reply bendo!
May I ask, what guitar are you using?
And where are the dials on your lead channel?
Thanks

Gibson Les Paul Traditionals and a Fender Telecaster Deluxe HH. All of the guitars have a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge with a 59 in the neck.

Gain 7, Treble 7, Mid 6, Bass 7, Presence 5, Reverb 5, Master 8. The Output I generally run between 1.5 and 3 depending on the size of the room for the show. Large rooms I'll run it as high as 4 mic'd.

However, I have to point out my amps are highly modified. A lot of resistors and caps changed, and some caps removed. It's pretty hard to list it all out. I've had a few people compliment on the fact that their DCs never sounded as good as mine.

I also have the GEQ on which I am not sure you have on yours.

But, all of that said, the OCD kicks all forms of ***. I used to run an EP booster, but I am much happier with the OCD.

I use clean channel for cleans, Mythical OD on clean for crunch, lead channel for leads. Great little combo!

Al

Latest posts

Back