How can I use my DC-5 as a power amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iHatePop

Reaction score
I'm trying to run the FX Send from my Marshall JCM 800 into the fx return of my DC-5 to hear the difference between EL34s and 6L6s. I tried it tonight but only got very low volume coming through the speakers. I tried using the Presence control on the channel that was selected as well as the Output control. The Output and Presence control changed nothing. I also tried it with the FX Mix at 0% and 100% and neither changed anything.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure what you mean by the precribed pedals and the presence and volume working with them.

Also, the amp was bought new in 1997 by my godfather who, as far as I know, has kept it stock. I was given the amp a few years ago and just recently retubed it last month. It works perfectly aside from this from my use.

iHatePop said:
I'm not sure what you mean by the precribed pedals and the presence and volume working with them.

Not proscribed pedals. The manual says you can use the effects return as a power amp, BUT, only the presence (per channel), the output control and the graphic eq will work. You mention these controls didn't work when you ran the Marshall into the effects return. What I'm asking is do these three controls work when you run pedals through the loop?

Sorry been super busy with college. I don't own any pedals that should really be used in the loop, and I know it at least used to work, because I owned a V-twin preamp pedal for a while and fooled around a few times with the power section of the DC-5. The loop SHOULD work. The amp functions perfectly aside from that.

But as I said, everything worked as it was supposed to about a year ago. Since then I've changed the tubes and cleaned the pots, but that should only help things, not make em worse.

To test the loop, couldn't I just run a cable from the Send to Return and see if they work?

iHatePop said:
To test the loop, couldn't I just run a cable from the Send to Return and see if they work?

That might work...I say might because it's a parallel loop. The level or blend pot controls how much of the loop signal is mixed with the dry signal to the output stage. With an effect, you can hear if the loop is working by whether or not you can hear the effect. With a jumper, you might not be able to tell if the loop is working because the "wet" or loop signal is identical to the dry signal. I suppose there might be a slight change in tone or volume, but I couldn't say for sure. I doubt it would hurt to try.

The jumper test would work on a serial loop, because if there were no continuity through the loop, you'd get no output. There's only one signal that goes from the send to the effects and back (vs. two in a parallel loop).

It might just be dirty/corroded contacts in the send/return jacks. DeOxId works great to clean contacts and pots. Spray it on the tip of the plug and work it in and out of the send and return jacks. I suppose rubbing alcohol might be a convenient substitute, but don't take my word for it.

Latest posts

Back