Going to re-tolex early DC-5, need a couple parts...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnr

Reaction score
I picked up a used DC-5 a couple years ago, put some fresh tubes in it, and it's been great so far. It was in pretty good shape, but the other night I was bringing it out to my car and passed a little too close to the Christmas tree waiting out on my curb for the garbage pick-up. I put a good sized tear in the grill cloth as a result. It's still workable, but I decided to take the opportunity to spruce the amp up.

I'm going to refinish it to look basically like this:

Express-550-BlueBronco-CreamTan_G-Cream_P.jpg

I already ordered the Tolex and speaker cloth from mojotone (I couldn't find the exact same cream and tan cloth that mesa uses, so I used a plain tan one). I also ordered some knobs from Mesa to replace a few of my chipped knobs, tan leather corners, shiny nails for the corners, and a new handle kit with chrome hardware. No one seems to make a tan leather handle with single hole mounts and correct spacing for this amp, so I'm going to have my shoe guy make a leather cover to go around the metal insert of the handle. But before I spend the money doing that, do any of you know where I can find a pre-made tan leather handle that will fit?

The other thing that remains is the ferrules/grommets at the top of the amp. My amp has 4 countersunk holes at the top for mounting the electronics. The holes are finished with a black plastic ferrule or grommet. The guy at Mesa said they don't have those anymore and never made them in chrome. Anyone here know where I can get chrome or polished nickel grommets/ferrules to fit in here?

I just ordered a TH-18 handle from http://www.brettunsvillage.com. The dimensions on the website appear to be correct. Fingers crossed.

Still looking for chrome grommets though. Anyone have any ideas?

Since you are retolexing, you could fill the holes, redrill them the diameter of the bolts, tolex the amp, and use the same chrome bars as the Express uses. I'm assuming the spacing is the same on both amps, you might want to verify that.

Mike Boogie said:
Since you are retolexing, you could fill the holes, redrill them the diameter of the bolts, tolex the amp, and use the same chrome bars as the Express uses. I'm assuming the spacing is the same on both amps, you might want to verify that.

I thought about doing that, but am trying to keep this limited to a "surface-level" refinish. I'd like to maintain the original layout of the amp if possible.

Back