DC5 lead channel honk

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just replaced the power tubes in my DC5 to find and incredible improvement in overall tone (it had old STR430's in it) but something still persists that is nagging at me.

When I turn the gain down on the lead channel (as in anything below 7) there is this pronounced mid-range honk that appears and gets worse and worse as the gain gets lower. This happens regardless of eq settings or how hard I'm pushing the power section.

Is this normal, or should I look into some new preamp tubes as well? I don't seem to hear it in the youtube demos for the amp that others have posted.

Head, does the same thing in both my 1960 cab with g12t-75s and a mojotone 410 with g10l-35s. It's annoying because I can't any clarity with low gain tones like I hear other people getting.

BlackBoxy said:
microphonic tube
The new power tubes pass the thump test, but I wouldn't be surprised if the preamp tubes were just old and worn out as well. They don't squeal or exhibit any undue amount of hiss or general noise, but given that the power tubes were 10 years old at the youngest, I could imagine the preamp section needing a refresh as well.

Back