DC-5b Channel/EQ Foot Switch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpistolas

Reaction score
Nothing that's ever been too much of an issue but I have yet to have a dual foot switch that would also turn on/off the EQ. All function with the channel switching (any single does also) but none that worked with other amps would control the EQ no matter how the EQ amp switch was set. I have never owned an actual Mesa brand DC-5b dual foot switch so I'm curious if there's something specific in the original switch to make the EQ switch work that standard/generic 2 button foot switches don't have (specific resistor??) or is there possibly something in the amp switching itself that's malfunctioning.

I leave it on auto so it's on with the lead ch & off on the clean and I've been quite pleased with that setup but it would be nice to be able to engage the EQ off or on when I want. Always wanted to try the "EQ as a boost" thing I see a lot of DC owners do.

I found this post which made me believe the foot switch would have to be the original or one with a specific resistor http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43214

I posted this to you a while ago, not sure what else you could be missing here.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=66810

Maybe check the wiring at the jack on the amp itself.

I can post a picture of that if it would help?

Switch Doctor sells a dual switch that uses a TRS cable, not a standard patch cable.
See my thread on 'footswitch question'

I've been using mine a while now and it works like a charm.

Finally getting back to the foot switch issue. Bendo; your pix are invaluable but i was trying to use some of the several DPDT switches i already have. I would need to order a couple SPST switches to build it like the factory switch, although since initially making this post I believe I've got head wrapped around using the DPDT instead of the SPST.

Bendo; Was that the "New" switch Mesa sells for the DC-5b? Ignorant as this sounds I was always unclear on which switch went with which DC rev. The DC-5b uses Ch/EQ with leds no external pwr required & the reverb switch is solo with no led, correct? I played this amp for years with a single foot switch for channel & keep the rev. always on, just turned down on the lead channel. The EQ seems to only be on with the lead ch. which is fine by me. I like the slightly more Fender-esque tone of the clean without the graphic EQ.

In the end I want to use this old gutted Marshall 3 button foot switch as to have one single enclosure with all 3 controls. I figured I could simply put one mono out for rev. & a stereo out for the Ch/EQ. Some time ago I saw where someone did a similar project but wired all 3 switches to a CAT5 jack - CAT5 cable to the amp and a small breakout box at the amp to split the CAT5 wires to the correct 1/4" foot switch jacks.

Just for the record: Buying the over priced Mesa foot switches is out of the question as is the nearly as over priced switch doctor models. Not to mention wasn't there a lengthy thread here on issues with ordering from switch doctor & other footswitch dealers?

jpistolas said:
Finally getting back to the foot switch issue. Bendo; your pix are invaluable but i was trying to use some of the several DPDT switches i already have. I would need to order a couple SPST switches to build it like the factory switch, although since initially making this post I believe I've got head wrapped around using the DPDT instead of the SPST.

Bendo; Was that the "New" switch Mesa sells for the DC-5b? Ignorant as this sounds I was always unclear on which switch went with which DC rev. The DC-5b uses Ch/EQ with leds no external pwr required & the reverb switch is solo with no led, correct? I played this amp for years with a single foot switch for channel & keep the rev. always on, just turned down on the lead channel. The EQ seems to only be on with the lead ch. which is fine by me. I like the slightly more Fender-esque tone of the clean without the graphic EQ.

In the end I want to use this old gutted Marshall 3 button foot switch as to have one single enclosure with all 3 controls. I figured I could simply put one mono out for rev. & a stereo out for the Ch/EQ. Some time ago I saw where someone did a similar project but wired all 3 switches to a CAT5 jack - CAT5 cable to the amp and a small breakout box at the amp to split the CAT5 wires to the correct 1/4" foot switch jacks.

Just for the record: Buying the over priced Mesa foot switches is out of the question as is the nearly as over priced switch doctor models. Not to mention wasn't there a lengthy thread here on issues with ordering from switch doctor & other footswitch dealers?

Well, that was the Channel/EQ switch for a DC3 Revb, but they use the same foot switch.

I hear ya on the cost of Mesa switches. I just sold my DC3 for a Rectoverb 25 and it doesn't come with a foot switch for the Reverb. It does come with the channel switch. The reverb is 50.00 from Mesa! I built my own, with an LED for 20.00.

UPDATE:
I wired up the additional switch for the EQ and nothing. I only tried one switch but it was from a new batch. I'll test a few others to make sure it's not just a faulty switch (being the 1st one I tried that would be my luck).

Previously I had connected a peavey dual switch (along with other different 2 button footswitches) and they all had the same result. Channel changing works fine, EQ doesn't work at all. Honestly, I'm coming to the conclusion that there is an issue internally that doesn't turn on or off the EQ with the footswitch. I am able to engage it from the amp. I had previously set it for EQ only on lead but it also engages when switched to both channels via the rear switch.

Is there some optocoupler inside for the switching that could be faulty? I'm assuming it's not the simple Fender style internal switching like with the reverb (which turns on and off correctly btw).

For the record all I've tried have had stereo/TRS cables. Channel switching works perfect but EQ switching never works.

Could this be an internal issue? Could someone with a bit more knowledge than me chime in? Not a huge issue as I've gotten used to having eq on the lead and off on the clean but it would be nice if it worked.

Not to beat a dead horse/post but I'm beginning to think I don't have the front & back switches set correctly for the eq switch to work. Could anyone post a pic of how they're supposed to be set to enable the eq footswitch to work correctly? I currently have the GEQ set to on with the lead channel but alas it doesn't turn the GEQ on or off. Just on with the lead. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Be nice if Mesa would post a manual for the DC-5b instead of just the original "A".

This is something that I always revisit myself because it is kind of confusing and I'm not even sure I fully understand but this is my take on it:

The rear toggle switch sets which channels the footswitch enables the GEQ for. This is fairly straightforward; Lead only or Lead and Rhythm.

The front toggle is the confusing part. I take this as the "Channel Select" switch. In the up position, you are on the Rhythm channel. In the middle position, you are using the Footswitch when it is plugged in, or the Lead channel if no footswitch is present. In the bottom position, you are on the Lead channel + EQ.

So if you want the GEQ for both channels then the rear toggle should be set to Rhythm & Lead and the front switch should be in the middle position.

This is how I understand it, and to be honest, I'm only about 80% sure I'm correct. In fact, I think I'll check it when I get home tonight.

Latest posts

Back