Considering entering the world of the DC (DC5 in particular)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gts

Reaction score
Looking over the shoulder of the guy who lost his
Looking over the shoulder of the guy who lost his apples
I'm considering entering the world of the DC with a DC5.
Curious as to what to look for, the differences between the "a" and "b" versions etc.

As many of you know I'm coming from the Mark series side of things.
So any help/ insights with regard to how the DC series compares to the Mark series might be helpful as well.

Thanks guys!

First, DCs kick ***. Smart move. The differences with the A and B are the A has a dirtier clean channel and LEDs on next to the Gain controls to indicate which channel you are on. Also, there are some channel switching and reverb/EQ switching differences. The main difference is the clean channel. The rest is ancillary and shouldn't really affect your decision.

The differences with the Mark series can be dramatic, or nothing. It depends on where you dial the amp. The Lead channel is a mix of a Rectifier and a Mark. But, has a sound all it's own. Though it can be dialed close to sound like either. I can speak to the clean channel on the DC5, but the DC3 has a Vox like clean channel. Very chime like and bright.

In any case, you will most likely be happy. Most who own a DC and sell it regret it forever.

bendo said:
but the DC3 has a Vox like clean channel. Very chime like and bright.

I find the clean channel on my DC3 to sound very warm. Great for blues and jazz. Could be my choice of settings (I run the gain a little on the high side which makes the amp sound fatter) and my choice of power tubes (JJs). Also, I'm using a Theile cab with an EVM12L along with the V30 in the combo cab.

It's a great amp, though.

The price point on the DC-5 is very attractive to "give it a try". Its basically what I did about a decade ago and it supplanted my Blues Deville as my go to amp. It has a decent clean that I enjoy. Maybe not 'fender' clean but close enough for me.

For the longest time I would use a couple OD pedals on the clean channel and not really use the lead, but I finally figured out how to dial in the lead channel to my liking (only took like 5 years LOL) so now down to 1 OD pedal..flavor of the month is a fulltone OCD. I play mostly classic rock, blues and a little jazz. Some days I use the EQ as a boost, some days in the classic V for some added depth...depends on how I feel. Its definately a tweeker but probably a little friendlier than a MKIII.

Let us know if you pick one up and if you dig it.

Chris

If you look around you find them from $450 to $650.

Guitarcenter.com used gear online has a head right now for $499, and a combo for $599.

Hey George. I bought a DC-3b head earlier this year and really like it. It's become my #1, mostly because I play in smaller venues and the EL84s work better, especially in rehearsal. For me the 6L6s don't really get up to speed without the volume (for my taste), and volume is something I don't need right now. The Mark IV and C+ in 15 watt mode lose too much of what I love about 6L6s. It's also quite a bit lighter than a Mark!

The DC-3 Rhythm channel is at least as good as any Mark I've played and takes pedals very well. It alone is worth the price of admission. I recently found that with Rhythm gain on 5, the amp has a nice shimmering clean; go to 7 and it thickens up nicely while remaining articulate. The difference is kinda like pulling the Treble pot on a C+ with Lead drive around 3, at least on my C+.

The Lead channel is another story, and I've improved it with preamp tubes and minor mods, but I still find it a bit lacking, especially after playing through Marks. Many players try to open it up with lower gain preamp tubes. To me it's more a distortion channel than a classic Boogie lead channel, having a more of a Modern voicing than the vintage Boogie tone. At lower gain settings it loses some dynamics; at higher settings it drifts more toward distortion than that pure Boogie overdrive we've come to love....almost like Rectifier fizz to my ears. I still use it for raucous rhythm stuff (e.g., Ramones) and certain lead plays, but my favored lead sounds come from the Rhythm channel with a high-quality OD pedal.

Again, this is about a DC-3, not a DC-5. YMMV. Andy (Monsta-Tone) is a wealth of info for these amps. Let us know what you wind up doing!

dodger916 said:
The Lead channel is another story, and I've improved it with preamp tubes and minor mods, but I still find it a bit lacking, especially after playing through Marks. Many players try to open it up with lower gain preamp tubes. To me it's more a distortion channel than a classic Boogie lead channel, having a more of a Modern voicing than the vintage Boogie tone. At lower gain settings it loses some dynamics; at higher settings it drifts more toward distortion than that pure Boogie overdrive we've come to love....almost like Rectifier fizz to my ears. I still use it for raucous rhythm stuff (e.g., Ramones) and certain lead plays, but my favored lead sounds come from the Rhythm channel with a high-quality OD pedal.

Again, this is about a DC-3, not a DC-5. YMMV. Andy (Monsta-Tone) is a wealth of info for these amps. Let us know what you wind up doing!

I find the lead channel on my DC3 to be more Marshall like than Mesa like. Removing that resistor helped a lot but it's not sweet and flutey like even my Studio .22+ is.

Don said:
dodger916 said:

I find the lead channel on my DC3 to be more Marshall like than Mesa like. Removing that resistor helped a lot but it's not sweet and flutey like even my Studio .22+ is.

Agreed.

Back