Tube Change and Wonderful Results

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobyzjr

Reaction score
I purchased a used 50 Caliber + back in March and it had 3 standard JJ ECC83 preamp tubes, a JJ ECC81 in the fourth position and an Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in V2. The power tubes were Ruby 6L6GC's.

Although the amp sounded good, it was a little "buzzy" sounding and I kept the gain low, to keep the buzz down.

I just put a pair of JJ 6L6's in and moved the JJ ECC83 in V1 to replace the Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in V2. Then, I put a JJ Gold Pin ECC83 in V1. And WOW! The gain is so much smoother sounding. I was able to turn the gain up a couple notches and it still sounds smooth.

Has anyone else tried the Gold Pin preamp tubes from JJ? I wonder how much of the change in tone is from the new power tubes, the new preamp tube, or from getting rid of the 12AX7?

can't help, i hate tone "my taste" JJ tubes almost everywhere , last time i even removed them as follower in V3 and V4 position for NOS GE, too dynamic and midrangy .

I wish more people would change tubes before declaring an amp toneless. What may sound dull in one amp, may be what the doctor ordered on another amp, even the same type of tube or amp. I recently bought another Mark lll and a tube that sounded awful and harmonic in my other lll sounded great in V1 of this lll! It all depends on what is your sound I guess, I like 6l6's more than el34's, and simul-class verses class a, but I also like Jimi and Dimebag, not into Jerry Garcia or Santana so my tone is my tone.

Back