Recording DC5 1x12 Combo with Power Attanuator

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaper1984

Reaction score
Will i get a better sound more powerful at "bedroom volumes" then when i have bedroom volumes right now? I mean the idea of pushing the tubs with the power attuantor sounds cool...I wonder if anyone have tried this?

I've tried an older Marshall Power Brake with a Boogie Quad/Simul 295. While I liked the sound with the power brake, I didn't think it translated that great when I recorded it. For me it had a lot to do with the pressure levels and speaker moving.

Having said that, I've also recorded a 15 watt amp at a healthy volume and was able to get a usable sound, and it was impossible to tell that it wasn't a 50+ watt stack. I also put the amp on top of a bed and wrapped it in moving blankets to get as much volume without having the cops called.

I haven't recorded my DC-5 yet, but I think with a well padded closet or room, you should be able to get some volume out of it and get a good recording. FWIW, I recorded the quad in an apartment bathroom with the mattress and moving blankets.

I've not had good experience with attenuators: nothing "bad" or foul sounding, but nothing I'd consider was any better ...so why bother. Ended up selling them.

If you want more "power tube tone" try setting the master output to 7 or so, then adjust desired volume with your channel masters. Go to both extremes (preamp master high and overall master low, and reversed) and see where you like your tone as it does make a difference. IMHO, this is yet another one of those "hidden" beauties about these very underated DC amps: there's different voicings in there if you take the time to hear them out :)

Edward

funny that you've mentioned it Edward, i've been experimenting with that, and will try some more sadly my graphic eq is acting strange so sometimes the tone looses it's highs! :? :cry:

Latest posts

Back