DC 3 questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarshMesa

Reaction score
Alright guys, I may have asked a similar question a few years ago, but I'd like to see if you guys have any suggestions. I own a DC-3 head that sits on a 1922 Marshall 2x12 half cabinet. I play mainly this rock telecaster with dual humbuckers. Now to get to my point - my DC 3 is always a little bit muddy when I palm mute no matter what I do to the EQ. I keep the bass at 2 or below and there's still not the tightness that my Marshall DSL has or the Mark V when I played it in the Hollywood store. I'm not looking for the "Metallica" sound, so I don't need a tone of gain, but I'd really like to not rely on an overdrive pedal all the time for my tone. Is there any way to tighten the DC3 up without doing major mods? Would using a different speaker cabinet like a 4x12 make a difference? I played on the Mark V a while back and thought the tone was the best I've ever heard from a Mesa. I've wondered if it would be better to save up for a Mark IV (the V is so expensive!), but the IV isn't exactly cheap either these days. The tubes in my DC3 are JJ high gain tubes.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem with the DC3? What did you do to fix it?

Have you tried playing through a Mesa Cab? I have a DC3 head going through a Mesa 2x12 and have none of the muddiness you speak of. Palm mutes are tight and defined.

No, but I think that might be my best bet of figuring out if I want to keep the amp long term. I will take it to the Hollywood store and try it out on a Mesa speaker. Do you recommend trying it on a 2x12 or a 4x12?

I use a 2x12 Recto cab and I love it. Would not use anything else. That being said, a 4x12 should sound essentially the same, but bigger.

Latest posts

Back