Favorite Booster Pedal For DC-5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpistolas

Reaction score
I was using an LPB-1 nano for a bit and really enjoyed it but I've since sold it and am in the market for another. I'm leaning towards a Zvez Sho. Any opinions & experiences with others?

Hmmm... that was quite the convincing demo. Especially with Neil's playing! Love the small footprint also. May need to shlep my DC up to Guitar Center to give one a try.

I use an EP.Booster in the loop for a dead clean boost......Used it up front and yep works very well there too.....

dodger916 said:
Won't they let you take it home for the 30 trial?

And now that I'm a Cartel member, where'd you get the Cartel badge?

Forgot about the 30 day return deal. Been forever since I actually bought anything there. :roll:

Welcome to the Cartel! Another member named O==00==O was making the Cartel logos for a time. Their sig says to pm your email address to them with a request and they'll send you a link when it's done.

New to the board... but I've been using a Semour Duncan Pickup Booster, run through the effects loop... works amazingly well

Yes, I will be running it into the loop. Last in the chain. If I can, I keep as much as possible in the loop. More quiet operation and I like the way most clean boosts in that spot and doesn't OD any pedals after it. Honestly considering building an AMZ mosfet boost. Been a while since I built a pedal and those are usually very clean. Just looking for a bit of a kick up for leads.

Thanks for the suggestions! Truthfully, I have issues paying the price the xotic EP brings. That's one tiny simple circuit to be charging $100 for.

A little late to this party ...
I use either an Ibanez TS10 or a Rat in front of my DC5 head. I am going for the dirty death metal sound so they work quite nicely with the DC5.

riku said:
A little late to this party ...
I use either an Ibanez TS10 or a Rat in front of my DC5 head. I am going for the dirty death metal sound so they work quite nicely with the DC5.
I bet the Rat sounds NASTY! Are you using it on the lead channel? Waaaay back in the day I used a Turbo Rat with a JCM900 & I used to love it. Used the TR with a Sovtek Mig 60 also.

Finally decided on a SHO for a boost (clone anyway). Just bought the components & when I get it breadboarded I'll try & get some samples. May still try it in the loop but I'm thinking that boost would add not only volume but some wanted bite for leads.

Yeah I have it on the lead channel. I have it set with a very small amount of distortion, basically using it as a boost. All I need is 2 channels, super clean and mega dirty!
I've just had it all open this week, did the volume mod and changed the input impedance resistor on the lead channel from 470K to 1.47M. It made it a lot less flabby in the bottom end and the Rat really shine.

After playing around with my homemade SHO I found it a bit too much for what I wanted & with all the advice on the EP booster I decided to go with one. Well, sort of.... Recently got a $25 ebay gift certificate and opted to go with a Chinese Xotic EP clone that was $25 US. Way I figure it the either pedal is still composed of Chinese components only the Xotic is assembled in the US and if it ends up being total junk I'm out no money at all plus they offer replacement I believe. On the plus side it may sound just as good as the real deal US version. it's a dead clone down to the internal dip switches. Now for the long wait across the pond.

EDIT:
Without having an Xotic right beside it to compare my clone is doing what EP boosts are always boasted to be. Just simply adds to the tone. Not the best boost for solos I've used but so far I tend to keep it on all the time. Makes my clean & lead channels just "better". I was very surprised they included the internal dip switches.

Thanks to all that recommended the EP boost.

Latest posts

Back