Back in fold! Couple questions...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogietone

Reaction score
Got a DC-5 about a month ago. I think it is an A version. Great sounding amp. I absolutely love this thing! The clean channel is great, the lead channel sounds great. All with minimal tweaking. This is the third DC I've owned along with a Mark III blue, MKIVa and MKIVb. The first was a DC-5b, then a DC-10 and now this one. I like this one the best so far. For some reason this DC I just picked up seems to have quite a bit more gain than the previous DC's I had. I used to boost the others but this one I don't need to. Sometimes I use an SD-1 just for a different flavor. I wish the reverb was a little better. At least on the lead channel. It is so weak that with the reverb on 10 you still can't really hear it. Sounds pretty good on the clean channel. I've done the parallel to series EFX loop mod several times on previous DC's. I have not done this mod yet on this amp and I only use a Boss DD-3 in the loop. There is quite a bit of digital artifacts when the pedal is engaged in the lead channel (don't really use it on clean). Will the EFX loop mod cure this? I can't remember what differences that mod made. Any advice greatly appreciated! Also what, if any, reverb pedals are you guys running? Any suggestions? Thx!

I did these mods on my DC-3 and it really brought the reverb around. Not Fender surf territory, but much more usable.

Better Reverb Mod:
1. Dwell or Speed of Reverb...To change the Dwell of the Reverb, experiment with the 1M resistor that ties Pin 2 of V5A to ground (Grid Resistor).
I like 680K or 750K a little better than the 1M. It slows the Reverb repeats down a little bit and makes it a little more Fender like.

2. Different response....There is a .002 cap from Pin 1 of V5A to ground. Move the side of the cap that goes to ground to Pin 3 of V5A.This should make the Reverb a little better sounding and change the feel of it a bit.

3. Stronger Reverb....On page 6 of the drawing, you will see a 22k resistor in series between the B+ voltage and the Red wire of the Reverb Transformer. This is placed here to prolong the life of the transformer.
You can experiment here with different values of resistors. I usually knock it down to a 5K 1 watt resistor. Removing it completely will probably put you into Dick Dale territory.
I always use a 1 watt resistor here. I have had a few 1/2 watt resistors fail.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58252

boogietone said:
Got a DC-5 about a month ago. I think it is an A version. Great sounding amp. I absolutely love this thing! The clean channel is great, the lead channel sounds great. All with minimal tweaking. This is the third DC I've owned along with a Mark III blue, MKIVa and MKIVb. The first was a DC-5b, then a DC-10 and now this one. I like this one the best so far. For some reason this DC I just picked up seems to have quite a bit more gain than the previous DC's I had. I used to boost the others but this one I don't need to. Sometimes I use an SD-1 just for a different flavor. I wish the reverb was a little better. At least on the lead channel. It is so weak that with the reverb on 10 you still can't really hear it. Sounds pretty good on the clean channel. I've done the parallel to series EFX loop mod several times on previous DC's. I have not done this mod yet on this amp and I only use a Boss DD-3 in the loop. There is quite a bit of digital artifacts when the pedal is engaged in the lead channel (don't really use it on clean). Will the EFX loop mod cure this? I can't remember what differences that mod made. Any advice greatly appreciated! Also what, if any, reverb pedals are you guys running? Any suggestions? Thx!

well because of the paralelle efx loop on dc5 , your delay doesn't sound great, make it serial, cause you are actually mixing wet and dry trough a pot , killing effect clarity..

Back