Time to retube & have some Eurotubes questions

DC-2, 3, 5, 10
50 Caliber

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

jpistolas
Mark II

Time to retube & have some Eurotubes questions

Post by jpistolas » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:37 am

The last time I retubed it was waaaaty back and they've served well but time for retirement. Last time I used Boogie branded tubes simply because the local shop where I lived carried them.

I'm interested in purchasing one of the eurotubes sets. Heard nothing but good about them. I'm looking into the high gain set as that's mostly the sound I'm after but I also have issues with a weak slightly dirty clean channel and weak reverb on both channels. Would this set suit me and solve those issues or should I look elsewhere or mix up the preamp tube types. I don't want to lower the gain channel but I'd like to clean up the clean and improve the reverb without getting into any serious modding.

Thanks
DC-5B Head-Mesa 2x12 Halfback

mandoismetal
Mark II

Re: Time to retube & have some Eurotubes questions

Post by mandoismetal » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:00 am

I've heard good things about that set. Keep in mind that some people say the high gain sets may increase the fizziness/sizzle of your highs.

Personally, I would end up getting Tung Sol's. They sound smoother and have a bit more gain than similar tubes.

I get my tubes at http://www.thetubestore.com/. They also have pre-assembled sets for some Mesa amps.
Ernie Ball Music Man JP13
Mesa Boogie Mark V Head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Rectifier Horizontal