New tubes ?'s I'm all for a good opinion.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moses760

Reaction score
I know it's a topic that's been covered here many times but those are outdated! Is there anything new with the tubes in your dc5?

I bought my dc5 on eBay a year ago it came with groove tube preamp tubes not sure what kind (didn't even bother to look when I did the serial mod) but most likely are 12ax7 and for the power section it has in place 2 groove tube power reducers with 2 el84's attached to them. This reduces the power sections output using el84 and makes it waaaay easier to get a good saturated tone at low volumes. No need to rebias the amp. I can take them off anytime and go back to 6l6's I think they are awesome. They go really well with the dc5. But now I just wonder what it would sound like if I did have 6l6s. So I'm going to get some real soon but I don't know which to get.

I play mostly heavy metal all the time. I never use the clean channel I use a digitech rp1000 for any clean tone(which by the way adding a distortion pedal from the rp1000 along with tweaking its parametric eq makes this dc5 sound amazing! I don't use the dc5 stock much anymore.) and I switch back and forth from the rp. Anyways, any recommendations for preamp/power tubes suited for metal?
Yeah I know it's all subjective but I'm not afraid to try something new when I get an opinion from someone.

Doug's tubes has a high gain set. Has anyone tried these? And is there really a noticeable difference from the stock tubes?

The tube depot says try tung sol str 6l6 in power section, 12ax7 in the preamp, and a balanced 12ax7 for the phase inverter and also says "I think you'll be pleased".

What do you guys use now that hasn't been mentioned in this dc5 forum before?

all you need to know is this

JJ_TubesLogo.gif

/thread

Latest posts

Back