Convert dc5 combo to head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moses760

Reaction score
So I'm thinking I would like to convert my dc5 combo to a head then getting a 2x12 cab and maybe use the original black shadow speaker with something else.

To convert my dc5 combo to a head Im thinking these steps:
1. Take the chassis out
2. Take the speaker out
3. How would I go about cutting the combo box giving room for tubes. Just saw it all the way around? Or does it come completely apart?
4. Once I cut all the way around for the head I'm thinking of making another cut at the bottom of the combo box so I can use the same base and then attaching the head with the chassis to the base. Would that be the best way?

I would look for an original Mesa head cab. There is one on ebay right now.

Cutting down the original cabinet cleanly and precisely is much harder than it looks due to the slant of the front of the cabinet. You would be better off just building a new cab from scratch. That way you could at least sell the original cabinet once you decide to go with the head for good.

Better yet, just add a Theile 1-12" cabinet with a cast frame speaker by EV, JBL or Altec to your current rig. Then you can just take the combo when that's all you need or add another 12" for more coverage.

Hmmm yeah you just talked me out of it Hah. Thanks. Sounds like better idea just get a extra 112 cab. Do you think that headshell would fit the dc chassis? If so i may take bid on it.

Dude. Call Mesa. They can sell you a cab head. That's what I'm planning to do this year. I emailed them and they told me they can have one sent to me.

Do Not do this OP.
I did this too a Fender Bandmaster in the days of my youth and truly regret it too this day.
I not only devalued but also destroyed a piece that should have been appreciated by someone other than me further along the line.
These days with the web Classifieds and wanted ads its Easy too find a guy/gal who wants the combo and speaker vs the head.
I know I want my wide chassis head in a combo so We are out here.
Modding the board and retolexing is one thing but sawing the Combo body just gives me the creeps OP.
Good Luck though.

Yeah I'm taking the advice and I will NOT be performing this surgery! But I also have the option of sending it down to Tijuana, Mexico and I'm sure they would do a great job making one or converting it plus retolexing for cheap. I think I'm just going to get a 1x12 cab instead.

I did mine a few years ago. I called mesa and bought a new head box from them. At the time I paid $280 which included a spare
reverb tank already installed, so I can swap it from head back to a combo in less than 5min if I need to.

On a side note it sounds like a completly different amp thru a closed back 4x12. You can run the bass up higher without it
getting flabby.

Man, there are a lot of people out there who can build you a head cab for this amp, using solid wood or voidless birch, etc. And they are using finger jointed corners and they are a lot less $$$$$ than buying a factory cab from Mesa. You can get something for $100-150 bucks shipped if you don't mind getting something unfinished and oiling or staining it yourself. Or you can send it to Mojotone or someone like that to get a pro tolex job done to it for $200 shipped both ways.

You'd be better off selling your empty cab, don't cut it. As soon as that blade hits that wood you will regret it forever. I bought a couple of empty Mesa 1x12 cabs and I use them as speaker cabs with my amp heads. There is an empty wide body Mesa cab for sale right now on TGP.

soundchaser59 said:
Man, there are a lot of people out there who can build you a head cab for this amp, using solid wood or voidless birch, etc. And they are using finger jointed corners and they are a lot less $$$$$ than buying a factory cab from Mesa. You can get something for $100-150 bucks shipped if you don't mind getting something unfinished and oiling or staining it yourself. Or you can send it to Mojotone or someone like that to get a pro tolex job done to it for $200 shipped both ways.

You'd be better off selling your empty cab, don't cut it. As soon as that blade hits that wood you will regret it forever. I bought a couple of empty Mesa 1x12 cabs and I use them as speaker cabs with my amp heads. There is an empty wide body Mesa cab for sale right now on TGP.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm looking to do the same thing. Where are you finding people out there to do it for $100-$150? Let me know!!

Back