NAD 50 Caliber + and Cab -w/pics!

DC-2, 3, 5, 10
50 Caliber

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

soundchaser59
Single Recto

Re: NAD 50 Caliber + Short Head...HELP!!!!

Post by soundchaser59 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:04 pm

Can I ask what Mesa charged you for doing that? I've always wondered if I should send a couple of my old Mesa amps back in for "refurbishing" but the guy on the phone always manages to talk me out of it. He says a 15 year old amp isn't really that old, and if there are no symptoms of problems, why bother?

But I've always wondered what it would cost......or if maybe they would do yours for free (+ cost of shipping) because they might consider it "defective" some how?

Please do post pictures. I have just acquired a DC3 head that I'm tempted to get re-tolexed.
Rivera R55 and K55, Frenzel 5E3-40, MIA Strat, Reverend 6 Gun, Weber, Reaper.

scoobyzjr
Mark I

Post by scoobyzjr » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:03 pm

soundchaser59 wrote:Can I ask what Mesa charged you for doing that? I've always wondered if I should send a couple of my old Mesa amps back in for "refurbishing" but the guy on the phone always manages to talk me out of it. He says a 15 year old amp isn't really that old, and if there are no symptoms of problems, why bother?

But I've always wondered what it would cost......or if maybe they would do yours for free (+ cost of shipping) because they might consider it "defective" some how?

Please do post pictures. I have just acquired a DC3 head that I'm tempted to get re-tolexed.
Boogie said that not much needed to be done to get the amp in order, so they charged me $100 plus shipping. I will post pics once I get the chassis back.

scoobyzjr
Mark I

Post by scoobyzjr » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:04 pm

I was actually surprised that nothing major needed to be done on an amp that is 20+ years old. :o

scoobyzjr
Mark I

Post by scoobyzjr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:53 pm

Today, I got my 50 Caliber + chassis back from Mesa Boogie. I can't wait to crank it up. Here are some pictures of the entire ensemble! :lol:

I have to wire up the speakers and then I get to fire it up!!!! I am very pumped!!! I hope you all enjoy the pics!

MichaelC4
Mark III

Post by MichaelC4 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:58 pm

Looks awesome!!!!
Quad 295, Studio Pre 50/50, 50Cal+, Racktifier
4x12 halfbacks- 3 Top, 3 Bottom & 3 Road Ready
Lefty
Jackson- KV2, DKA
Gibson- Faded Flying V & SG, SG-1, SGJ
Dean- Z79
Schecter- Hellraiser C7
BC Rich- Mockingbird ST
Ibanez- RG470, RG450, RG370DX

scoobyzjr
Mark I

Re: NAD 50 Caliber + and Cab -w/pics!

Post by scoobyzjr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:08 pm

So today, I got the 4x12 cabinet wired up and I could FINALLY check out the 50 Cal+ head since it is back from Boogie. Well, I turned it on and everything appeared fine. I tried to add some reverb - reverb did not work. I tried to use the 5-band graphic EQ - would not come on - Nothing. I am fairly bummed out. I just left a voicemail for the guys at Boogie to get back to me. Geez!!!! :(

dodger916
Donating Member

Post by dodger916 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:21 pm

That's very disappointing, given that you sent it back to The Source. Unless it got damaged in shipping. Let us know how it turns out, and good luck!
scoobyzjr wrote:So today, I got the 4x12 cabinet wired up and I could FINALLY check out the 50 Cal+ head since it is back from Boogie. Well, I turned it on and everything appeared fine. I tried to add some reverb - reverb did not work. I tried to use the 5-band graphic EQ - would not come on - Nothing. I am fairly bummed out. I just left a voicemail for the guys at Boogie to get back to me. Geez!!!! :(

Mk IIA->C+ DRGX head "Cold Sweat" in GTS shell
1966 Fender Pro Reverb
DC-3 head
Orange Dual Terror
EVM loaded Thiele; MS-12 1/2 back
71 SG; 72 Tele; 76 White Strat; 77 LP Custom; 81 Goldtop; 05 Am Dlx Strat; 11 G0 plaintop

scoobyzjr
Mark I

Post by scoobyzjr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:54 pm

So, another trip to UPS and it is headed back to Boogie. Oh well, little setbacks will not keep me from enjoying this amp....someday :lol:

dodger916
Donating Member

Post by dodger916 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:00 pm

Isn't there a local tech or Authorized Boogie repair shop that can service it? There's gotta be someone near you in Maryland. I'm always a little nervous shipping my amps cross-country after my Mark IV combo got severely damaged.
scoobyzjr wrote:So, another trip to UPS and it is headed back to Boogie. Oh well, little setbacks will not keep me from enjoying this amp....someday :lol:

Mk IIA->C+ DRGX head "Cold Sweat" in GTS shell
1966 Fender Pro Reverb
DC-3 head
Orange Dual Terror
EVM loaded Thiele; MS-12 1/2 back
71 SG; 72 Tele; 76 White Strat; 77 LP Custom; 81 Goldtop; 05 Am Dlx Strat; 11 G0 plaintop

scoobyzjr
Mark I

Post by scoobyzjr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:07 pm

dodger916 wrote:Isn't there a local tech or Authorized Boogie repair shop that can service it? There's gotta be someone near you in Maryland. I'm always a little nervous shipping my amps cross-country after my Mark IV combo got severely damaged.
scoobyzjr wrote:So, another trip to UPS and it is headed back to Boogie. Oh well, little setbacks will not keep me from enjoying this amp....someday :lol:
Actually, there is a Boogie service tech near me, but because they had already serviced the amp, the guys at Boogie wanted to come back to them again.

When I originally decided to get the amp serviced, the service manager at Boogie told me that they could do a "deeper dive" into the amp than what I would get through a local authorized service place. That is why I originally sent it back to HQ.

Monsta-Tone
Donating Member

Post by Monsta-Tone » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:35 am

What is the serial number? I've seen a few of the very first Calibers with the up-side-down boards.
I usually install all new parts on the tops of the boards. Mostly so that I can remember what I did when I was in there.

I love that tolex! Might have to get some!

As for the reverb, when you get it back, if the reverb still doesn't work, try swapping the cables. I can't even count how many amps I've seen that had non-working reverb simply because the cables were plugged in backwards.

I love the .50 Cal +! The clean channel is so warm sounding, and the distortion just flat out RAWKS!!!
Elvis said.......
Amp techs do get shocked. :shock:

scoobyzjr
Mark I

Post by scoobyzjr » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:28 pm

Monsta-Tone wrote:What is the serial number? I've seen a few of the very first Calibers with the up-side-down boards.
I usually install all new parts on the tops of the boards. Mostly so that I can remember what I did when I was in there.

I love that tolex! Might have to get some!

As for the reverb, when you get it back, if the reverb still doesn't work, try swapping the cables. I can't even count how many amps I've seen that had non-working reverb simply because the cables were plugged in backwards.

I love the .50 Cal +! The clean channel is so warm sounding, and the distortion just flat out RAWKS!!!
The serial # FP12327

If I have any more problems with this amp, I may have to ship it to you to check out.

scoobyzjr
Mark I

Post by scoobyzjr » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:33 pm

YES!!!!! :o

Today, the Service Manager from Mesa Boogie called me. There were loose wires from both the EQ and the reverb that needed to be fixed. Since it was considered their issue and not mine, they fixed it and are shipping it back free....and REIMBURSING me for my out-of-pocket shipping expenses. Pretty cool. Can't wait to get this amp home and crank it up!

MichaelC4
Mark III

Post by MichaelC4 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:20 pm

Good deal! They are the best!!
Quad 295, Studio Pre 50/50, 50Cal+, Racktifier
4x12 halfbacks- 3 Top, 3 Bottom & 3 Road Ready
Lefty
Jackson- KV2, DKA
Gibson- Faded Flying V & SG, SG-1, SGJ
Dean- Z79
Schecter- Hellraiser C7
BC Rich- Mockingbird ST
Ibanez- RG470, RG450, RG370DX

DeathMagnetic
Mark I

Post by DeathMagnetic » Mon May 12, 2014 3:44 pm

how are you guys channel switching with these amps.. I have one .. and both clean and distortion sound great ... but I cant switch between the channels and get the same volume have to fiddle around every time..

thanks,

Joe
Mark III
Mark V
Triaxis / 2:90 / 2:20 / 2:50
Stiletto
Road King
Nomad 45
Dual Recto Chrome Chassis F Rev
Triple Recto
F 50
Studio 22