I think I did something bad to my DC-3...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katie_n

Reaction score
So here's the thing...I recently got a DC-3 from my ex-boyfriend for my birthday in November. It's a combo and he put a Celestion Black Shadow MC-90 speaker in it. I recently moved, and since I have been playing it at my new house, I am getting a ton of feedback and noise. At first I thought maybe I just didn't let the tubes warm up enough (I moved during the middle of the "Arctic Vortex" sweepin' the Midwest), but now after things have been persisting, I don't think that's the problem. Does anyone have any ideas of how to troubleshoot it? If it doesn't come across obviously, I have never owned a tube amp before and I think I am doing a lot of things very wrong...

katie_n said:
So here's the thing...I recently got a DC-3 from my ex-boyfriend for my birthday in November. It's a combo and he put a Celestion Black Shadow MC-90 speaker in it. I recently moved, and since I have been playing it at my new house, I am getting a ton of feedback and noise. At first I thought maybe I just didn't let the tubes warm up enough (I moved during the middle of the "Arctic Vortex" sweepin' the Midwest), but now after things have been persisting, I don't think that's the problem. Does anyone have any ideas of how to troubleshoot it? If it doesn't come across obviously, I have never owned a tube amp before and I think I am doing a lot of things very wrong...

Normally...if it's static or occasssional white noise it could be from your cable or pickup may not be grounded properly. If this is not what you come across? Then it's a good possibility it's your tubes.

Feedback are more likely cause from preamp tubes but also power tubes as well. Best thing to do since you're not familiar with tube amp is take it to a tech or do it yourself.

I would suggest you get a set of fresh tubes for both preamp and power and just replace them all. This should be less worrisome for you. It's like when you get a used car. You want to replace the spark plugs and oil change to give it a fresh start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuJaCVldFq0

You didnt have this problem before you moved?
Do you use a quality surge protector?
I found the culprit sometimes is questionable wiring when going from place too place.
I have a Computer surge protector/power conditioner that cleaned up some of my dirty electricity issues.
worth noting.

move the amp around the house and use another electric outlet. Probably the room where you have your amp now is introducing noise.

Also re seat the tubes.
I had what I thought was a bad tube that turned out too be just loosened from its socket.
The pot hole roads will loosen the tubes up in many amps.

katie_n said:

Are you turning it up louder than you were at the old house? What guitar are you using? No pedals?

Tubes can cause feedback, but my experience is you have to turn the amp up fairly loud to get it to happen, assuming the posters above are referring to a tube being "microphonic."

Are you playing a solid body guitar? Or a hollow or semi-hollow body guitar? If you are cranking it up louder, and you have a hollow body guitar of some kind, you will have a hard time controlling the feedback. Or perhaps you are simply using too much gain?

soundchaser59 said:
Tubes can cause feedback, but my experience is you have to turn the amp up fairly loud to get it to happen, assuming the posters above are referring to a tube being "microphonic."
+1

Preamp tube going microphonic.
Happens to the V1 in my .50 Cal.

katie_n said:
Does anyone have any ideas of how to troubleshoot it?
Knock the side of the amp. If it stops, that's what it is.

Back