What's a DC? Ten words or less.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderkyss

Reaction score
If you were asked to describe the Dual Caliber in 10 words or less, what would you say?

"Mesa Boogie's "affordable" model"

"Boogie's bastid offspring"

Does the .50 Caliber fit your definition?

I don't know what a Dual Caliber is. I'm sifting through several posts, several web pages trying to find out. But other than the name, what similarities are there between the .50 Caliber & the Dual Calibers?

Blackface cleans, Recto gains
So loud it causes eardrum pains

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great amp, needs mods to to shine. Mark clean, recto gain.

The .50 Caliber does somewhat fit, but, not quite the same class as the Dual Calibers. More like a Mark III/IV. I was not impressed by the DC-2's lack of an EQ. Flat an Dull.

The "Dual" refers to separate gain and EQ for two separate channels.
The .50 caliber lacks these features.

You guys were getting Recto gain out of your DC's?!?!? My DC-2 sounded more Markish. Like a Mark IV with a bad cold. Is the DC-2 the black sheep of the series?

The DC2 is quite different from the DC3 and even
More so the DC5/10.
The GEQ makes the DC a poor mans MK IV with a splash
Of Recto in the mix.

Wonderfull cleans, smooth but compressed lead channel, dark sounding.

i would say that the cal50+ is a baby mark, but the DCs are likely more nephews.

Vigo1999 said:

i would say that the cal50+ is a baby mark, but the DCs are likely more nephews.

Cool.... from what I'm seeing, the .50 Caliber is nothing like the DCs. The DCs are true dual channel amps, the .50 Caliber is a single channel with switchable dynamic ranges.

thunderkyss said:
Vigo1999 said:

Cool.... from what I'm seeing, the .50 Caliber is nothing like the DCs. The DCs are true dual channel amps, the .50 Caliber is a single channel with switchable dynamic ranges.
The Dc 5 and Dc 10 both have the dedicated 2channels
But the rhythm channel has a .50cal like ability to change it's
Character with the pull out gain
A third channel if you will.
The Dc 2/3 don't have this option.

V-Type said:
thunderkyss said:
Vigo1999 said:

The Dc 5 and Dc 10 both have the dedicated 2channels
But the rhythm channel has a .50cal like ability to change it's
Character with the pull out gain
A third channel if you will.
The Dc 2/3 don't have this option.

Please clarify your statement. The DC3/2 absolutely have 2 dedicated channels. I would hardly call the Pull Boost a 3rd channel.

I thought it was allready established that
All the DC's have 2 channels but the
Pull out rhythm is only on the 5/10.
This What the El84
Based 2&3 Do Not Have.
Right?
And btw I know a modder or 4 that could absolutely
Turn the rhythm into a ftsw like faux 3rd channel.

V-Type said:
This What the El84
Based 2&3 Do Not Have.
Right?

While I agree with you, your original statement could lead someone to believe the DC2/3 doesn't have dedicated channels. As this is an informational forum ..... People come here to get questions answered, and find out information about amplifiers they might be considering buying.

Remember, we are dealing with human beings. Some not as smart as others. :wink: As a result, consistent information would be appreciated by all.

V-Type said:
This What the El84
Based 2&3 Do Not Have.
Right?

The pull out feature on the rhythm channel is what really sold me on the DC-5...that and the price.

Could you give me some more info on getting a mod to be able to have access to all three channels via foot switch? That would be sweet!

Thanks!

Easy to mod! Then it sounds incredible!!!!

Wait, that's only 7 words.....

I need more!!!!

There you go!

I have a super souped up DC-3 that can get just about as nasty as a Recto, but has incredible low mids that just cut through the mix.
The full set of Mercury Magnetics transformers helps a lot though! :mrgreen:

Monsta-Tone said:
Easy to mod! Then it sounds incredible!!!!

Wait, that's only 7 words.....

I need more!!!!

There you go!

I have a super souped up DC-3 that can get just about as nasty as a Recto, but has incredible low mids that just cut through the mix.
The full set of Mercury Magnetics transformers helps a lot though! :mrgreen:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ TRUTH ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I have played that amp, and trust me people are floored when they play it and crank it. It reminds of sitting in a big concert asking myself, "How does he get that tone? I love it!"

Monsta knows tone!

:oops: :oops: :oops: Ah shucks!
Thanks to you, I have that tone back!!! I keep thinking that you are eternally destined to have GAS.....I would be screwed if my initials were G.A.S. :lol: Although I did just buy another amp this morning.....

I'm loving my tone but I'm curious to the mods you made to make it more awesome. Can you share those to see if I can find a tech to modify mine.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back