DC-2 speaker change?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbomb Turk

Reaction score
OK, so I got this Mesa Boogie DC-2 a couple of months ago. Its a 1x12, EL84 combo with the stock Mesa Vintage Black Shadow speaker in it. I really like it, but the dirt channel (which I use most) is a little boxy and mid-rangy. I've never been one to mess with tubes/speaker/etc on amps, but I'm thinking that a speaker may be what is needed....possibly a Greenback?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edit: I put new tubes in not long ago, they have maybe 2 hours on them, so I know its not the tubes. Plus the clean channel sounds great.

I personally run my dc-2 with stock speakers, just wait for it to get really warm ( the face plate has to be hot when you touch it ) and try with or with out contour switch to tween the knows.
You hate to know, the master and output volume do change the tone, you won't get the same tone if you run your master at 7 with Output at 1 and master out a 7 with master at 1, it will be the same volume but really warm or really bright, that an other way to mess with the tone with that amp.

Newbomb Turk said:
OK, so I got this Mesa Boogie DC-2 a couple of months ago. Its a 1x12, EL84 combo with the stock Mesa Vintage Black Shadow speaker in it. I really like it, but the dirt channel (which I use most) is a little boxy and mid-rangy. I've never been one to mess with tubes/speaker/etc on amps, but I'm thinking that a speaker may be what is needed....possibly a Greenback?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edit: I put new tubes in not long ago, they have maybe 2 hours on them, so I know its not the tubes. Plus the clean channel sounds great.

I just put a WGS ET-65 in my DC2 today, and it was a pretty big improvement. Cleaner, not boxy, and the lead channel sounds less compressed.

Al

amrose57 said:
Newbomb Turk said:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I just put a WGS ET-65 in my DC2 today, and it was a pretty big improvement. Cleaner, not boxy, and the lead channel sounds less compressed.

Al

LOL! Al, I'm the one that sold you your DC2!!! :mrgreen: Glad you're liking the amp!!!

Newbomb Turk said:
LOL! Al, I'm the one that sold you your DC2!!! :mrgreen: Glad you're liking the amp!!!

Hey Greg! Yep, the amp is doing well. I put a 5751 in V2 position to knock down the gain a bit on the lead channel, and an RCA NOS 12AX7A in V1, the first stage of both channels. Sounds really sweet now. A good side effect of the speaker change was a loss of 4 pounds, so the combo now weighs 40 pounds instead of 44. Still a bit heavy, but more manageable.

Al

LOL!! Glad its working out for you Al!! I got a Marshall Vintage Modern combo yesterday (at a great price!!) that is looking to be a keeper!!

Newbomb Turk said:
LOL!! Glad its working out for you Al!! I got a Marshall Vintage Modern combo yesterday (at a great price!!) that is looking to be a keeper!!

Very cool. Gigged with the DC2 last night for the first time. Great little amp. I've ended up using the lead channel for crunchy rhythms, and driving the clean channel with either a Flux Drive or a Zendrive. With the 5751 tube in there and the gain on 2 the lead channel works well that way. For the song Black Magic Woman I used the Zendrive AND the lead channel, and got really great tone and sustain. Again, very nice little amp. It's a keeper for me as well.

Al

Back