Calibre 50 plus running cold

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D2dark

Reaction score
I just get myself a caliber 50 plus for cheap on kijiji but after take a look at the amp and played it for about an hour, it's a bit bright sounding and the tubes a really cold, almost no blue glow, I can put my hand around the tubes with no change to burn my hand like all my other amps....

Is the caliber 50 made to run that cold!?

J'ai essayer 2 set de 6l6 dedans et même résulta.

I've already try a different set of tube with same result, I ask the question to owners of 50+

Doesn't sound right. I owned the combo and my memory of it was that it ran very hot. I know that Mesa amps, at least with 6L6s are generally biased on the cold side, but it shouldn't be as dramatic as you are describing. Hopefully someone else will pitch in and give you further advice.

D2dark said:
almost no blue glow, I can put my hand around the tubes with no change to burn my hand like all my other amps.
My 50 Cal+ tubes don't want to glow blue. Even when I crank it. I tried to see them the other week. I guess it wasn't dark enough in the room.

I've never tried to put my hand on the tubes while powered up. I'm too scared. Don't remember which amp it was (20+ years ago), but, I got it good on one of my hands or wrist.

I might break it out and jam later to see......No, can't do that, the chassis is not in the combo. I'd have to plug it in out in the garage.

D2dark said:
J'ai essayer 2 set de 6l6 dedans et même résulta.

I've already try a different set of tube with same result, I ask the question to owners of 50+

Donc tu dois voir un tech, car ya un problème ou dans le circuit de courant de repos ou en haute tension ...

attention, si tu joues avec à 50% de puissance et dans ta chambre , c'est pas la même température au bout d'une heure ..

On parle a bon volume et après 1h, je vais vérifier le circuit pour voir si il est original et si tout semble en ordre.

Connais tu des bon technicien dans la région de Montréal ?

Back