Do you use a ME 70 or similar multi with youre DC series?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Type

Reaction score
I know stupid question. But seriously I have had good luck with a DE 7 delay and a CE 2 in the loop of my DC 3 combo but my ME 70 just doesn't yield the same results at all.
Are any of you using a Boss ME series with success and how do you do it?
The pedal is great with other amps but there is something awry with it and the DC3 for me.

Any insight Greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

The only MFX I've used in my DC's loop was the GT-10 and now GT-100. You will probably want to do the series loop mod for best results. I run my DC-5 4CM with great results. I've owned a DC-3 and DC-10 and they work just as well once the FX loop is series.

Second that doing the series loop mod. You'll get some weird phasing issues more noticeable if you have a volume pedal in the loop set to a lower volume that you start hearing the bleed of the unaffected tone.

I used an old boss ME in my loop before the GT series. It was great. Set it up just as you would a normal signal chain.
Guitar -> OD/distortion (AMP IN)(preamp)->(AMP SEND)->volume control->modulation/delays->reverb->(AMP RETURN)

Or the 4 cable method I would imagine most do it this way anyway

Guitar -> ME FX INPUT -> ME internal drives etc ->ME FX SEND -> AMP INPUT ->AMP PREAMP->AMP SEND->ME FX RETURN->modulations delays etc->ME FX OUTPUT -> AMP RETURN

edit:
sorry i went a bit OTT on that. It looks like the ME 70 doesn't have a loop. So you are sending from the amp to the input of the ME 70. You might want to check the input level. I find if the input levels to hot the sound will thin out on my setup.

I'm guessing/ hoping you are not using a distortion from the ME 70 while its in the loop. That's kind of weird IMHO but I wont say wrong.

Using the preamp in the loop also is weird because you are using the amps preamp signal into the ME 70 preamp so disengage that.

If you can place the expression(volume) pedal anywhere in the loop signal chain I would pop it before any delays/reverbs maybe even the first in the signal chain when entering the ME70.

Input impedance mismatch maybe??

I cant stress the series mod though. It will save a lot of annoying hassles if you do use wet / dry blends in your fx rather than the loop blend of the amp. Its ok if you are only using the wet signals in the loop though and blending with the loop pot.

I cant think of any other potential quirks you could get really

thanks for the help.
I dont feel the amp needs modding for me.
Its allready overbuilt for my needs lol.
Anyways I re read the loop instructions and adjust it both up and down until it was much more useable.
The ME doesnt have the 4cm so I use it for mods and delays.
I gotta say it worked pretty well in front also.
which bring me too another DC3 question good people.
Is my DC 3 an early serial # xx168x able too footswitch the reverb?
Ala a 3 button switch or a ad on 1 button?
I see reverb button ft switches offered but dont see the extra jack on my amp.

MJ Slaughter said:
The jack for reverb switching should be on the back panel. If not there look under the chassis for a jack.

FYI Rev Bs do not have a Reverb switching jack

I should've clarified. The DC-3B does not have a reverb switching jack. :D

I was curious about the DC-5B though. Good information to have.

I've tried my old but tried-n-true GT3 in the f/x loop of my DC5. Granted it's the stock parallel loop, but it offered me nothing. I simply run all my fx (GT3 and other pedals on a board) through the front end and get stellar results. Not to mention easier setup/tear down.

Edward

edward said:
I've tried my old but tried-n-true GT3 in the f/x loop of my DC5. Granted it's the stock parallel loop, but it offered me nothing. I simply run all my fx (GT3 and other pedals on a board) through the front end and get stellar results. Not to mention easier setup/tear down.

Edward

That sounds odd that it didn't offer you anything? The previous GT I owned was GT-5. Which is very similar to the GT-3.

I used the 4CM on that setup with my DC-5 aswell. The main benefits were having the Volume control, EQ, Delays, Reverb and modulation post preamp overdrive. Even with the amp un-modded to serial, it sounded fine. I only ever noticed the phasing issues at a lower volume.

I had tried the 4CM long ago and for me, I got no sonic improvement, nor enhanced usability. So given the multiple cables, hassle of hooking up, added setup/teardown time, and no benefits I could hear or apply in live use (as opposed to straight through the front), then no point in my experience.

I should add, however, that I don't use my GT3 for any modelling whatsoever. It is set to "manual," which means I program it as multi stomp box ...along with a few other pedals in line. FWIW, I've A/B'd with/without the GT3 straight to the amp and, set to "manual," it is totally tonally transparent. So for me, it's fx are a perfect complement to a couple of dirt boxes and wah.

Edward

edward said:
So given the multiple cables, hassle of hooking up, added setup/teardown time, and no benefits I could hear or apply in live use (as opposed to straight through the front), then no point in my experience.

Thats a good point Edward. I have my cables terminate at a patchbay type thing now so myself or anyone else will have one cable + power to connect my pedalboard to my amp. I did this because I wore the last jack sockets out on my previous GT5 and it cost me way too much to repair. So I built a patchbay to let those jacks would wear down instead only costing a few bucks at a time to replace them.

TBO It all depends on whether one would benefit from using FX in the loop or not. I mean, If you only use Pre amp input FX i.e overdrives,wah, etc... then the 4CM would only add more hassle.

I use my post preamp fx i.e... modulation, delays, reverbs quite often so the 4CM is best for me. And the volume control gives me better output control and or volume swell fx too lol. I use both manual and active modes depending on the situation too.

I only ever use amp modelling if i'm not carting around my amp and there isnt a decent one already there. After All the DC5 has a nice sounding filtered "record out" jack which does actually sound quite nice through a PA thus avoiding stage bleed too.

So yeah Edward has a good point. If its going to benefit then use it. If not... then don't bother :)

Latest posts

Back