DC5 channel voicings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonejam

Reaction score
Hi folks, There's a DC5 available near me at a good price and I'm getting G.A.S.
Here's my question. I had an Express 5:25 for a while, and the radically different channel voicings annoyed me. I would have much preferred 2 channels that started out the same, and you could set to your liking using the tone controls.
So, how different are the channels on the DC5 when you set them up identically?
Thanks all, Bill

i cant speak for the dc5, since i have the dc3 (but they have the same pre). i have to tell you that they are radically different.

lead ch is way more dark and compressed whereas rhy ch is more bell like with proeminent highs (although you can get some smooth tones backing out the treble).

i prefer to use the lead ch for single notes than crunch rhy (maybe cause it's more distorted than crunchy, but it also has a great crunch tone). imagine Mark IV lead ch type of tone . . .

for your purposes i think you better look for a MkIII. it's more "linear" sounding (lack of a better word).

tonejam said:
Hi folks, There's a DC5 available near me at a good price and I'm getting G.A.S.
Here's my question. I had an Express 5:25 for a while, and the radically different channel voicings annoyed me. I would have much preferred 2 channels that started out the same, and you could set to your liking using the tone controls.
So, how different are the channels on the DC5 when you set them up identically?
Thanks all, Bill
Hi mate, the channels are voiced completely different
The clean channel tone stack is situated before the gain stage (gain pot) and the lead channel is after. This results a completely different tone. also the clean channel utilizes 3 preamp tubes where as the lead channel uses 4 (well, halves) resulting in a grittier clean channel and smoother lead channel.

Latest posts

Back