Dc-10 silent recording mode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
Own a dc-10 head, I have had it since it was new. I have never attempted to use the recording out and silent switch, so I had a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer.
According to the manual, it appears I can switch to silent mode and safely run the head without a cabinet connect, is this correct. Also does the direct out have any type of speaker simulation on it? I am looking to use cabinet impulses so I am hoping it does not have simulation on it. If it does, how does it sound?

On a side note, I see a lot of people referencing an A and B version when talking about dc-3 and dc-5 amps. Is there an A and B version of the dc-10? And if so how can you tell the difference, and what I the difference?

Thanks for any info you can supply.

You MUST always maintain correct speaker load on the amplifier. Even when in record mute, a cabinet of the correct Ohm rating is required.

Again, you will damage your amplifier without a correct speaker load connected while in Record Silent.

See this directly controdicts what the manual states. The manual states that when the switch is in the speaker mute setting it removes the need to have a speaker load connected. So which is correct?

Pwrmac7600 said:
See this directly controdicts what the manual states. The manual states that when the switch is in the speaker mute setting it removes the need to have a speaker load connected. So which is correct?

Just looking at the DC-5 schematic which I am only assuming would be similar I can see that the signal is sent to ground rather than sent to the grid so correct me if I am wrong but although there would be no signal at the grids there would be an idol signal at the 6L6's?

That being said I would definitely still leave a load(speaker plugged in)

Play it safe :)

And if so how can you tell the difference, and what I the difference?
I'm actually looking at the DC-5A and B schematics now and there is an obvious difference in the clean channel only plus a subtle change to the input of the power section. Soncially, you would hear more gain on the clean channel in the A version. They cleaned up the B version. No other changes were made.

Also does the direct out have any type of speaker simulation on it?
If I record my DC-5 and plan to use impulses, I output from the SEND into the sound card. This gives a raw output.

Yes if you output via the record/phones out you will get a "rolled off / filtered" signal. the filter looks like some kind of active Low pass filter rolling of the highs.

I would use the send for the preamp

sKenDread said:
And if so how can you tell the difference, and what I the difference?
I'm actually looking at the DC-5A and B schematics now and there is an obvious difference in the clean channel only plus a subtle change to the input of the power section. Soncially, you would hear more gain on the clean channel in the A version. They cleaned up the B version. No other changes were made.

Also does the direct out have any type of speaker simulation on it?
If I record my DC-5 and plan to use impulses, I output from the SEND into the sound card. This gives a raw output.

Yes if you output via the record/phones out you will get a "rolled off / filtered" signal. the filter looks like some kind of active Low pass filter rolling of the highs.

I would use the send for the preamp

so the recording out completely bypasses the power output stage of the amp, so you are not getting the full true tone of the amp because you arent hearing anything the 6l6's do to the tone?
how does your dc-5 sound recorded through the send with impulses?

Pwrmac7600 said:
so the recording out completely bypasses the power output stage of the amp, so you are not getting the full true tone of the amp because you arent hearing anything the 6l6's do to the tone?

Yeah, it looks that way. You are getting only the output sent from the preamp. (correct me if im wrong if anyone else knows)

The DC-5 preamp sounds a lot fuller than an emulated preamp plugin. I use my Boss GT-10 on occasion.

What I tend to do for a recording setup is record the dry un-effected guitar track straight to tape (no preamp), also the signal is sent to the DC-5 for capture to other tracks via SEND and RECORD and MICS on the amp.

• DRY guitar
    Preamp Unprocessed via SEND
    Preamp Record out via RECORD OUT
    Close and open mic for the speaker

That way If I hate the sound of the settings I used before, I can reroute the signal recorded back to the amp again for recapture.

And/or blend the other tracks.

If the take is great then I will use the "preamped" track and play around with a few impulses. I use reCabinet for my impulse vst

Just a good tip.
Use a speaker while you record. Don't forget sympatetic feedback and harmionics caused by using a real speaker and volume

sKenDread said:
Pwrmac7600 said:

Yeah, it looks that way. You are getting only the output sent from the preamp. (correct me if im wrong if anyone else knows)

The DC-5 preamp sounds a lot fuller than an emulated preamp plugin. I use my Boss GT-10 on occasion.

What I tend to do for a recording setup is record the dry un-effected guitar track straight to tape (no preamp), also the signal is sent to the DC-5 for capture to other tracks via SEND and RECORD and MICS on the amp.

• DRY guitar
    Preamp Unprocessed via SEND
    Preamp Record out via RECORD OUT
    Close and open mic for the speaker

That way If I hate the sound of the settings I used before, I can reroute the signal recorded back to the amp again for recapture.

And/or blend the other tracks.

If the take is great then I will use the "preamped" track and play around with a few impulses. I use reCabinet for my impulse vst

Just a good tip.
Use a speaker while you record. Don't forget sympatetic feedback and harmionics caused by using a real speaker and volume

Gottcha, Thanks for the advice and direction.

That is correct, you are only getting the pre-amp signal on the record out. It's best to use a combination of inputs if your board, or device supports it.

I use an AudioBox USB 2. Record out goes to input 2, and an SM57 on the cab to Input 1. It allows me to really balance and play with the signal a lot. I can put effects on one input, and leave the other dry, etc....

I also use an AudioBox for a vocal preamp. Works great, and has a lot of controls and effects available. Line out on the AudioBox to the Makie. Sounds great, and 0 lag.

Of course you need a laptop/computer to use that setup.

From the DC-10 manual, it's pretty clear you do not need a load when muted. Wow, surprised me. Then again, their site was down when the OP first asked. However, they clearly state it is best to always maintain a speaker connection.

This rocker switch which is located down under the chassis and selects between the live SPEAKER ON
setting and the silent SPEAKER MUTE setting. This is a perfect solution for all-nighters! This switch mutes all of the signal
at the
power section driver stage, removing the need for a speaker load IN THIS POSITION ONLY!

NOTE: When this switch is set to the ON position, a speaker load must be maintained by either
a load resistor of some type or a speaker itself. Failure to comply with this instruction could result
in major damage to the amplifier. To be safe Leave your speaker connected !

bendo said:
That is correct, you are only getting the pre-amp signal on the record out. It's best to use a combination of inputs if your board, or device supports it.

I use an AudioBox USB 2. Record out goes to input 2, and an SM57 on the cab to Input 1. It allows me to really balance and play with the signal a lot. I can put effects on one input, and leave the other dry, etc....

I also use an AudioBox for a vocal preamp. Works great, and has a lot of controls and effects available. Line out on the AudioBox to the Makie. Sounds great, and 0 lag.

Of course you need a laptop/computer to use that setup.

From the DC-10 manual, it's pretty clear you do not need a load when muted. Wow, surprised me. Then again, their site was down when the OP first asked. However, they clearly state it is best to always maintain a speaker connection.

This rocker switch which is located down under the chassis and selects between the live SPEAKER ON
setting and the silent SPEAKER MUTE setting. This is a perfect solution for all-nighters! This switch mutes all of the signal
at the
power section driver stage, removing the need for a speaker load IN THIS POSITION ONLY!

NOTE: When this switch is set to the ON position, a speaker load must be maintained by either
a load resistor of some type or a speaker itself. Failure to comply with this instruction could result
in major damage to the amplifier. To be safe Leave your speaker connected !

NOTE
If you are using an impulse after recording then I would record from the SEND of your amp to avoid the filtered preamp. The record output has a bandpass filter applied to it, so you dont get that harsh raw sound which is pretty handy in cases where you would record direct from your amp to tape without impulses or cabinet sims OR direct to mixer in a live performance to reduce stage noise picked up from using a cabinet mic.

The Bandpass filter has a high pass filter starting from 1kHz and dropping by about 18dB@30Hz or so and a low pass filter starting at about 1kHz dropping by 18dB+ by 15kHz

So if you were to record via the RECORD OUT then you can see the signal would be completly filtered (simulating a cabinet) already

SLAVE OUTPUT
Digging a bit deeper. There is the Slave output which by the looks of things receives its signal via the first V6 grid and also via the output transformer(attenuated)

I can only hazard a guess that this would be line level but this signal incorporates the preamp and also presence value.

So if you wanted to capture the presence then the direct out would do it. but again im only guessing based on how i'm interpreting the schematic of the DC-5B

The RECORD OUT and SEND OUT don't have the presence signal appear in the signal chain

Caveat
Direct out only works un-muted

sKenDread said:
SLAVE OUTPUT
Digging a bit deeper. There is the Slave output which by the looks of things receives its signal via the first V6 grid and also via the output transformer(attenuated)

I can only hazard a guess that this would be line level but this signal incorporates the preamp and also presence value.

So if you wanted to capture the presence then the direct out would do it. but again im only guessing based on how i'm interpreting the schematic of the DC-5B

The RECORD OUT and SEND OUT don't have the presence signal appear in the signal chain

Caveat

My slave out has been removed to make way for quasi assignable foot switchable reverb with Dwell control. :) I suppose I could make a new one with a new jack and pot.

sKenDread said:
SLAVE OUTPUT

Caveat

Great info, thanks for posting!!

to all the people that has been recording with the DC-5, would you mind to share your recordings?
Let's hear your skills. :twisted:

Back