DC-5B sounds different

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sKenDread

Reaction score
Hi there, I have been searching this forum for any ideas of what I could do.

I previously owned a DC-5A and don't have that one any more. I now have a version B which I have only found out was a version B.

Unfortunately I am missing one sweet thing my old trusty version A did. A very sweet almost class A sounding crunch on the clean channel. As I would back of the volume on my guitar (treble bleed) the amps tone would become more "chirpier". This version B doesn't cream as much.

I have compared the two amps (the other being owned by my dad) again to double check i wasn't being nostalgic and missing something that wasn't even there in the first place and can notice a difference between the two versions.

And I've also checked another version B to make sure it wasn't just my amp either and I can also confirm that it is a difference between the two versions.

Is there any way to recapture this version A sound on a B?

Thanks for reading

sKenDread said:
Hi there, I have been searching this forum for any ideas of what I could do.

I previously owned a DC-5A and don't have that one any more. I now have a version B which I have only found out was a version B.

Unfortunately I am missing one sweet thing my old trusty version A did. A very sweet almost class A sounding crunch on the clean channel. As I would back of the volume on my guitar (treble bleed) the amps tone would become more "chirpier". This version B doesn't cream as much.

I have compared the two amps (the other being owned by my dad) again to double check i wasn't being nostalgic and missing something that wasn't even there in the first place and can notice a difference between the two versions.

And I've also checked another version B to make sure it wasn't just my amp either and I can also confirm that it is a difference between the two versions.

Is there any way to recapture this version A sound on a B?

Thanks for reading

Because of many complaints about the clean channel being too gainy, it was changed in version B to be more clean. Aside from that, the rest of the amp is basically the same.

Be aware when comparing 2 amps there could be differences in tubes, tube wear, speaker break-in, and many other factors. Not to mention the chance that everything is working correctly (in a nearly 20 year old amp!)

Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up,
It's such a pity people complained. I absolutely loved that sound!

Apart from the clean stage everything else sounds pretty much alike.

Can the clean stage be modded back to the original version? i.e
  • Is the Circuit board the same?
    Can i just replace the components on the clean channel?

you probably have saw that, but if you didnt, have some cool info there:

http://www.forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58252

http://www.forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58252

Back