DC-3 Reverb question!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoolguitar

Reaction score
Hi guys, I wonder if you could help me.

My DC-3 's reverb has ceased to work. When I turn up the reverb on both channels all it does is create awful noise. I changed the output valves only 6 months ago and haven't played it a huge amount.

Is this a common problem that can be easily fixed or could it be down to one of many things? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)

The first step is to replace with a KNOWN GOOD tube. Is is the V5 tube. Tubes can fail within 6 months. That is why Mesa's pre-amp tube warranty is exactly 6 months. :mrgreen:

Also, make sure the RCA cables are hooked up properly, as that will cause feedback as well.

Hi there, thanks for the reply :)
It's been going on for longer than 6 months. Could the other set of valves have anything to do with it? I haven't changed those in a long time! :)

It's possible, that the oscillation of the signal from the reverb is causing another tube in the pre-amp to go micro-phonic.

If it hasn't been serviced in a while, and FULL set of pre-amp tubes 6 (power tubes also 4) is strongly recommended.

Check Doug's tubes, Tube-Depot, or The Tube Store, Google will direct you in the right direction. The only EL84 power tubes I can get any extended life out of with good tone is the JJs. I've tried, Sovtek EL84s and the Military version, Mullard's, and, Stock Mesa (Sovtek). I wouldn't even consider putting NOS tubes in for fear of them being eaten alive and wasting a bunch of $$$.

For Pre-Amp tubes I run:

V1 - EH 12AX7 or a Tung-Sol depends on what I have on hand
V2 - JJ 12AX7
V3 - Mullard re-issue 12AX7 - This gives a nice rounded tone to the JJs modern sound.
V4 - JAN Phillips 12AT7 Black Plate - More headroom on clean channel. Sounds really silky and full with a nice breakup
V5 - JAN Phillips 12AT7 Black Plate - Same reason as above :)
V6 - JJ - These last the best here and sound good

You could take it to a tech, but replacing tubes is like replacing light bulbs. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Ah ha! So it's not the pre amp tubes I changed it's the other set. I haven't changed the preamp ones in years! This makes more sense.

So you say to change V5? It says V6 is a reverb tube too. Would it be more likely to be V5?
Basically the least amount of tubes I have to buy the better :)

Thanks for the info buddy! :)

V5 is the reverb driver for the Dual Caliber Pre-amps. V6 is the Phase Splitter/Driver. The DC5 manual does not have a tube map so.... But, the tube maps in the DC-3 and DC-10 manual are the same so... :)

However, replace them all. All 6 of them. Find one of the pre-amp kits that Doug's tubes or one of the other vendors sells.

Whatever you do, MAKE SURE you use a Tung-Sol or an ElectroHarmonix 12AX7 in V1. You can use whatever 12AX7 you want, but these sound the best.

What does it do if you unplug the reverb? If you have the reverb either turned off or disconnected then the amp sounds great?

Reverb tanks are cheap, a lot cheaper than a full set of tubes. Maybe you should try replacing the reverb tank instead? I know any tube can fail at any time, but good preamp tubes tend to last a LOT longer than 6 months. I'm skeptical...... :shock:

Back