DC3 12V power source

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendo

Reaction score
I have been running a fan in my DC3 head powered by a Wall Wart wired into the Power Switch on the head.

I want to get rid of the Wall Wart, I see that the Lower Power supply has a 12V source on it, but I cannot for the life of me find it on the board anywhere.

My DC3 is a RevB made in 1996 with an attached power cord. Any Help? Monsta-Tone?

Thanks
Chris

There is a -15v power supply for the switching functions inside the amp.
There is also a -15v supply for the bias.

I wouldn't use either of these for anything other than their intended purposes, sorry. They just aren't robust enough to do what you want them to do.
At best, you will have problems with switching functions, like channel changes, GEQ on/off, etc..
At worst, you will burn up parts on the board.

If it were my amp, I would call Mesa and buy one of the tiny 120v fans that they use on the Lonestars, Mark V, Blue Angel, Maverick, etc..
They are very small and you should be able to find a place to mount it to the chassis. These are really quiet and blow directly across the power tubes.

Monsta-Tone said:
There is a -15v power supply for the switching functions inside the amp.
There is also a -15v supply for the bias.

I wouldn't use either of these for anything other than their intended purposes, sorry. They just aren't robust enough to do what you want them to do.
At best, you will have problems with switching functions, like channel changes, GEQ on/off, etc..
At worst, you will burn up parts on the board.

If it were my amp, I would call Mesa and buy one of the tiny 120v fans that they use on the Lonestars, Mark V, Blue Angel, Maverick, etc..
They are very small and you should be able to find a place to mount it to the chassis. These are really quiet and blow directly across the power tubes.

That's what was done. Fan should be here next week.

Thanks for getting back quick. Always appreciated!

That's your safest bet. In one of my previous DC-3's I used a Mark IV fan. It worked great, but man those are huge fans for such a small amp! I kept forgetting it was there and putting things (fingers, power cord, etc.) in the back of the amp when it was on.........I like the smaller fans much better!

Back