Tone Tubby in a DC-3?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I have my DC-3 sounding really good, but the speaker still needs a little tweaking.
I've installed a set of Mercury Magnetics transformers, and added a choke.
I have done the Monsta-Tone gain mods.
I have also rolled a custom set of tubes that consist of JJ High Gains and NOS.

Currently, my amp has a Mojotone BV-30H (Heritage 30 clone).
It sounds really nice and clear, but still way too much midrange on the distorted tones.

I tried a C-90 and lost a lot of crunch, although it sounded pretty good it was really stiff.

I've owned several DC's over the years and have always used Mojotones or C-90's.
Guess my tastes are changing again......

I'm looking for a 12" speaker that will sound really nice and thick, but have lots of chime on the clean channel.
Tone Tubby?
Eminence?

What are you guys using?

Hey Andy!! :D

no matter what i try, i always end up using the Black Shadow vintage 50. it's THE perfect match pair for the DC-3 imho. great crunch, smooth mids, handle distortion very well, refined and has a lovely warm clean tone. and yes, you can get one for 50-60 bucks 8)

Ola!
I had one in a Studio Cal .22 and liked the C-90 better. That was a very long time ago though......
The DC-3 sounds great, but just has too much mids for me.
:lol: Looks like you might be getting another one if I can't find a speaker I like! :lol:

I'll look around for a Vintage 50. Isn't that an Eminence speaker? Do they make something similar in their current line up?

DCs are never enough :lol: :lol:

yeah they were eminence made and i've read somewhere (maybe here?) that they are the Cannabis Rex model on the current line.

keep that 2 equis on the ice bro!!

Monsta-Tone said:
I'll look around for a Vintage 50. Isn't that an Eminence speaker? Do they make something similar in their current line up?
I had my E50 and an Emi Ramrod side by side, I swear a blind man would not be able to tell them apart. They sounded identical as well.

Back